Athens II wood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

www_godzilla

Oct 24, 2008
Portland,Maine
I am looking to buy some of these. Anyone tried these new pellets? Thank you

zilla,

i cant speak for everyone as people have many different opinions on these pellets. myself...i am into my third ton of the athens pellets. i burnt 2 ton of the first series and at christmas time i bought 2 ton of the seriesII.these new ones seem to give a better heat,from my stove anyhow. the ash content is still quite high, but the pellet size is more consistent,lighter in color.

there are quite a few fines in the bags, but i built a cleaner for them and have no problems with them in my stove...alot of people had problems with the first batch, and i know a few of them..i guess i was one of the lucky ones.

i live 11 miles from the mill and buy them right there, the price is right buying direct, and as long as i am not as unfortunate as others here, i will continue to burn them. i remind myself that they are a new company to this type of manufacturing, and they are going to experiance some growing pains. the company acknowledges that they had issues , and are trying to remedy these issues as well as rectify the problems with the pellets that are already in circulation.

hope this answers your question

mike

mjbrown65 said:
i live 11 miles from the mill and buy them right there, the price is right buying direct

Out of curiosity, what is the price at the mill, and do they have a minimum purchase. I wouldn't mind trying a few bags if the price was right. I am down that way at times and could stop in.

jlf,
it is my understanding that the company was only going to sell direct in a 12 mile radius, but could be wrong.as far as price, i am able to buy for $215 per ton.my dad and i had asked if people would be able to come and buy just a few bags at a time and were told that it would create to much paper work and they wanted to sticck to bulk or by the pallet ton.
`
mike

We bought 4 tons of the Athens I pellets in September from O'Hara's in Biddeford. Called them up and they swapped us out on the new pellets, which are burning
OK so far, they are a much better consistency pellet with a LOT less dust. However, they are causing jam ups and a lot of remnants in the burn pot. Better, but not perfect. OHaras says they are an 80-20 mix pellet. Ash is about the same as well, maybe been through 6 bags since re-delivery. There is a noticable difference in the appearance of the new pellets, they flow better in the hopper, and are lighter in color. Better burning I would say about average. They delivered to us, said price was 290/ton plus delivery if you need some.

Lopi Leyden in 2008

Thanks Mike I thought probably they would require a ton. I suppose they would want to limit the area they sold direct to in order to protect their dealers.

www_godzilla said:
I am looking to buy some of these. Anyone tried these new pellets? Thank you

I did...
they were lighter in color...and didn't have black specks in them. they didn't fall apart in the water test...just like the earlier ones. They were uniformly longer...some pellets were even in the 2 inch range. There was an average amount of fines...when compared to the previous Maine Woods pellets.
They burned exactly like the earlier ones did. So not much heat...and tons of ash. All around crappy pellets!
Would keep looking for better quality pellets. They still aren't selling premium quality pellets. Contrary to what the bag tells you!
Unless you have a thing for cleaning your stove. I noticed when I burned these I was emptying my ash vac as often as I used to clean my stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.