Attach a Thermostat to Escape 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rockpile

Nov 6, 2023
Vancouver
I am a newby so please excuse me if this is a dumb question.

The thermostat built into the RC300 remote that controls my Escape 30 fireplace insert is not very accurate, does anyone know if I could wire in a Honeywell or similar low- oltage wall mounted thermostat?

I have looked at the installer manual and the wiring diagram is not very helpful.

Any advice gratefully received.

I’d first check to see if voltage is the same. If the same I suppose I’d see if they happened to use a red and white wire combination. You can use any colored wire, but maybe you get lucky, lol.

I think I’d call them and ask what they thought before I did it. If something went wrong, and low voltage equipment was damaged, it could get expensive. My gut says it should be ok, but I recently had a HVAC tech send 115 V through the low voltage pieces of a furnace and it was an expensive oops.

Moved thread to gas forum

I am a newby so please excuse me if this is a dumb question.

The thermostat built into the RC300 remote that controls my Escape 30 fireplace insert is not very accurate, does anyone know if I could wire in a Honeywell or similar low- oltage wall mounted thermostat?

I have looked at the installer manual and the wiring diagram is not very helpful.

Any advice gratefully received.
The HeatnGlo Metal Inserts had a rocker switch that mounted to the side of the surround but I don't think that the Firebrick (Which the Escape is one) have that switch. If there are two brown switch wires on the wiring harness, you could connect a thermostat to those. You would still have to use the remote to control the aux functions, so I don't know how practical that would be?