Attaching a handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LimaWhiskey

Nov 14, 2008
Ontario, Ca
I just purchased a Drolet Savannah wood stove and it came all assembled except for the handle. The instructions tell me how to attached everything but the handle. Maybe I'm not strong enough :coolgrin:. I did a search on handle and in the first 6 or 7 pages didn't see what I was looking for. There's got to be some sort of trick to this (and I have to wonder why they didn't put the handle on in the store when they did everything else.

I've pushed, twisted, pried at it to try to open it, tapped at it with a hammer, it just won't get on. I'm beginning to wonder if it's wound too tight and that's why the store didn't have it on.

Well I suppose you could try heating up the hole on the handle with a torch and slipping it on.

Post pics of the two mating ends.

I have no idea what the handle attachment method is here, HOWEVER...

Would a little slip juice help, say oil, or vaseline?

Again, I have no knowledge of this stove, but Morsoe handles are removable and do not stay on the stove. Our best guess was that someones dear cat opened the door and climbed in and Morsoe got sued. It may be the case with your stove too.

You can see the handle sitting on top of the wood stove. i wrote the company and they said it should go on by rotating counter clockwise but that didn't work so i asked some one stronger than I to try and he couldn't get it on either. I think I have a defective handle, am going to bring it into the store and ask for a replacement.

Lisa.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 150
LOOKS LIKE TWO HANDLES ONE ON THE DAMPNER DID YOU TRY SWITCHING THEM?

Some of them can be a bear. I have never had one of the "impossible" ones not succumb to holding it with the end that goes on the rod facing you and twisting the living crap out of it with a pair of Vice Grips locked on the end of the wire turning away from the direction of the spring tension.

Failing that working, lock said Vice Grips on that same end of the wire and bend it out a little from the rest of the spring. It'll screw on the rod then.

Status
Not open for further replies.