Attic radiation shield in Cathedral Ceiling w/ scissor trusses

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Redside

Sep 12, 2018
Alaska
I will post pics of my install once complete, but in the meantime I was wondering if someone could direct me on the best and safest way to go through my interior ceiling (10/12) to roof (12/12) with class A ICC excel chimney. I have a two story cabin I am building and will be running class A up from the 2nd story floor. It will not enclosed by a chase(not code), but I will build a small fence around it at floor level to protect it from bumps. There is no code up here. My attic space is about three feet deep. My options are:

1. Build chase/attic radiation shield out of plywood in the attic with required 2" clearances from class A. I would close off the ceiling with a pitch ring.
2. Install a cathedral attic radiation shield instead of the chase (it is a sheet metal enclosure). ICC Excel sales a cathedral attic radiation shield that I would buy.
3. Do a combination of both (this would create a 1" dead air space outside of the radiation shield and would likely be overkill, but still pretty easy and to me the safest way.

The attic is vented with soffit and ridge vents. I am unsure whether to terminate the radiation shield a few inches above the insulation and use a storm collar, or continue it up to the underside of the roof flashing. My thoughts are if I terminate it just above the insulation, the cold attic air (approximately 1' of air space) will keep the pipe cooler and possibly safer while at the same time allowing better ventilation by drawing up cold air from the soffits. On the other hand, if I continue it up to the outside flashing/roof then it will keep the chimney hotter and help draft (I just don't want it to superheat the area near the roof and create a potential fire hazard). I am also worried that if I continue it up to the roof, any moisture drawn out of the house will be pushed to the ceiling with less air space to ventilate out the ridge vent. I know I am overthinking this and no matter what I do will be fine so long as the 2" to combustibles is met, but what is best? The roof flashing and one section of chimney is already in (secured with universal roof brace) and the chimney exit is near the peak of the roof about 1 foot down.

Last edited:
What is supporting the pipe that is there now? Just hanging from sway braces?

As long as the chimney pipe is at least 2" away from any combustibles, it will be safe. Normally a cathedral support box is used for a through the roof installation where there is no attic. In this case you could use a normal ceiling support box and then an attic insulation shield with storm collar on top of it. Post some pictures of the area now so that we can spot any other potential issues.

attic chimney 1.jpg