Auber at200 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all i would like to install a auber at 200 on my insert. I have a thin wall flex liner stainless. What toe of probe or sensor would i need for my application? Thanks

I’m using the washer probe on my appliance adapter with a sheet metal screw. I took some extra liner insulation and wrapped it around it after.

Reads fast. I don’t know the difference in temperatures between that and a probe in the exhaust 18 inches up but it does give you numbers to go off of.

I have both washer and a regular probe. I drilled a hole on the appliance adapter for my probe. Right now I just have my washer stuck up between the liner and it’s insulation. The probe reads hot there but like the previous post said you get numbers and can set a safe alarm temp. The magnetic one always interested me but I was too worried about demagnetizing it.

I check the temp currently with a infrared thermometer on the liner just above the appliance adapter. Im not sure it i want to go the probe or washer route.

The probe would be more accurate to the exhaust though still may not be completely relatable as it’s not going to be in the recommended place. Just remember to remove the probe before cleaning the liner.

Just remember to remove the probe before cleaning the liner.
The probe needs cleaned every few weeks to be accurate too...doesn't take much flyash for it to read 50-100* low.

I wonder how much of a difference it would be from the adapter tomthe liner where i currently check it. Its onle a few inches higher

I suspect it could be much lower. I can see flames licking up near the adapter through my bypass rod hole(when bypass is closed). They are rolling around the baffle and up the steel flue exit. I think the flames licking around in there make mine read higher than what it would be above that point.

Mine also seems to run a little hot at peak burn anyway. I think it’s just because the insert height is low enough to allow the fire to climb around the baffle. I can control it but if I try to slow it I end up with tons of wood gas being generated and not burnt.

The probe needs cleaned every few weeks to be accurate too...doesn't take much flyash for it to read 50-100* low.

You think? I may have to clean it.

I don't have an Auber, and don't know the shape of your thermocouple, but I put my thermocouple inside the heated room air opening on top of the "roof" (don't know terminology) of my insert. I used a magnet that might be now keeping it on by sheer gravity, lol, but it's still giving consistant readings. I even think Auber sells a magnetic mount thermocouple. Let me look...found it. Out of stock though.

I use the washer style probe. I just tucked it in side the band clamp that goes around the flue adapter. So it reads on the low side compared to a probe in the flue, but it gives me numbers to go off of. It suits me fine. I didn't want to make a hole in the liner.

Last season, I had it on the top of the insert with a magnet. When I pulled the surround plate off at the end of the season to check things over and clean, the magnet was totally "de-magnetized". So yes, that will happen.

You think? I may have to clean it.
Wasn't sure how to take this comment at first...but then I realized that there is no way you didn't already realize this and you are just being a smart azz...but I didn't post that for your benefit, it was meant for anyone considering a probe style monitor for the first time, and specifically someone that may be putting it in the flue of an insert stove...my point was to not bury the thing where its too much of a PITA to clean it every few weeks.

Wasn't sure how to take this comment at first...but then I realized that there is no way you didn't already realize this and you are just being a smart azz...but I didn't post that for your benefit, it was meant for anyone considering a probe style monitor for the first time, and specifically someone that may be putting it in the flue of an insert stove...my point was to not bury the thing where its too much of a PITA to clean it every few weeks.

Not being a smart ass, I have pulled the probe a couple of times and it's been super clean. Even if it did have a film of dust on it I don't know if it would matter. Since insulation just delays the ultimate measurement. That film might make it a tiny bit slower to react. I do not think it is worth cleaning unless your burning habits create some sort of horrendous goo buildup. If so, what the heck are you burning?

Just asking.

I use the washer style probe. I just tucked it in side the band clamp that goes around the flue adapter. So it reads on the low side compared to a probe in the flue, but it gives me numbers to go off of. It suits me fine. I didn't want to make a hole in the liner.

Last season, I had it on the top of the insert with a magnet. When I pulled the surround plate off at the end of the season to check things over and clean, the magnet was totally "de-magnetized". So yes, that will happen.

So just for this thread I pulled out my auber probe for the first time this year. Dang thing had only a thin coating of dust. I do not think that this is a maintenance item. I do need to remove the probe when I sweep the chimney so access is important once per year or however often you sweep.

42BA3863-1A0B-4FF3-9346-0022FFE720DC.jpeg

So just for this thread I pulled out my auber probe for the first time this year. Dang thing had only a thin coating of dust. I do not think that this is a maintenance item. I do need to remove the probe when I sweep the chimney so access is important once per year or however often you sweep.

View attachment 292263
Agreed. This is the only time I pull the probe.

Reactions: EbS-P
Not being a smart ass, I have pulled the probe a couple of times and it's been super clean. Even if it did have a film of dust on it I don't know if it would matter. Since insulation just delays the ultimate measurement. That film might make it a tiny bit slower to react. I do not think it is worth cleaning unless your burning habits create some sort of horrendous goo buildup. If so, what the heck are you burning?

Just asking.
Ah, OK I guess I mistook where you were going with that then...sorry.
I'm burning the same stuff as everybody else in Ohio...mostly hardwoods...and most of it is 4-5 years CSS (except maybe some dead standing EAB Ash that I cycled right into the rotation) and as you know I'm running the super clean burning Kuuma furnace, but even so I have to pull the probe every 2-3 weeks to clean the flyash off, which apparently is a pretty good insulator because the temp will jump up ~50* after a cleaning (might not sound like much, but the Kuuma furnace only runs flue temps in the 3-400* range most of the time, so 50* really throws things off if you are upstairs watching the temps)
As I posted elsewhere my probe is just stuck into the pipe through a hole the exact size of the probe OD, its kind of a friction fit...so I can't really get a picture of it pre-cleaning because the very act of pulling it out cleans it.

View attachment 292263

Is your temp probe above or below the damper I see in your picture?
Have you looked at your damper insides lately? Does it get dirty?

I probably didn’t even get 25 loads through it this year. I did pull it out today and it was very clean. I’m pretty attentive to keep a clean burn and neighbors happy.

Probe may even touch damper. No damper flue probe on the white jotul.

36ECC1C2-B545-41D9-A5B6-D5BCCE33F9A5.jpeg 0DE0FC84-9694-406E-89B5-02AC502488D4.jpeg

Is your temp probe above or below the damper I see in your picture?
Have you looked at your damper insides lately? Does it get dirty?
Probe above damper. I am most concerned about over firing or under firing my chimney system so I think temperatures above the damper are more important though I’m not sure they would be much different.

I use a sooteater to clean my flue and it runs right past the open damper so I haven’t had to take it apart for a couple years. Still works great at damping.

Reactions: Woodcutter Tom
Do i need the probe and the washer one. Also to install the probe did you drill in to the appliance adapter

Do i need the probe and the washer one. Also to install the probe did you drill in to the appliance adapter
You only need one. I say probe. In fact I will be replacing my washer with a probe that’s on my work bench.

I drilled my appliance adapter twice once for the probe second for the screw to secure it. I felt better about this than drilling liner further up.