Auber surface reading at appliance adapter on insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

d.sebens

Oct 26, 2021
White Heath Illinois
I’m about 2 weeks away from getting my insert. I’m installing a surround panel when I put the insert in. I ordered a Auber with a washer thermocouple. I plan on installing it on the appliance adapter where the liner hooks up. Does this sound reasonable? If so any ideas what normal temps would be there, moreso critical temps? Should I treat that a flue temp since it’s after the bypass damper? I know it won’t be in the standard location or I’m the stream. Just hoping someone can tell me what number is too hot with this setup.

Too hot will be when the flue collar starts glowing red. That will be about 900º. How that translates to surface temps near the flue collar is a good question. Maybe leave the surround off while learning the stove.

I change the title to attract the eyeballs of others that have done this.

Good idea. I’ve got an ir gun. It’s a lopi large flush. “I think” you install the insert, then the surround, then the front of the stove. I could be wrong. If it’s not a lot of work to remove the face of the stove I could run it with no surround you get some data.

Presumably if 900 is metal glowing if I put it on single wall metal it “should” be pretty close?

For normal operation, I would expect flue temps to be in the 400-700º range internally depending on the size and stage of the burn. It might hit 800 internally at peak burn of a large fire. The blower will have a tempering effect and will lower the flue temp. On our stove, this can bring about a 50º drop in flue temps. But it's a freestander. On an insert, with the convection jacket going around the flue exit it might bring about a 100º drop.

I had the wash in three different places. Stove top. Stuffed down between liner and appliance adapter, and up between insulation and liner 3-4” above the adapter.

Stove top was best for me but it was to easily moved off the top. Worst was stuck between adapter and liner. Reading Was well below stovetop. Slow to respond. Under the insulation is where it is now. It reads within 50 degrees of stovetop during normal operation. When I had a bride over fire stove top was 850, 915 I the hottest spot and liner under insulated hit 730. I watch the whole thing had the blower on hi.

I bought the probe and I am waiting to install it just haven’t found the time yet. I have a probe on my basement insert appliance adapter. Its the best way. Need to figure out how/ where to install after I install my damper.

Really it doesn’t matter that much get an IR thermometer and you can calibrate your instal location to the hottest part you can measure with IR. Once you do that you can set the alarm temps then really I can run how the firebox by looks and don’t need the temp but it’s nice to have.

Evan

Hey, this is a family network. None of this bride over the fire stuff. ;lol

• Haha
Reactions: EbS-P