Auger bushing questions. Not necessarily specific to the EF2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TJ041

Dec 11, 2018
Dayton, Wy
I've been running a pellet stove since I bought my house in 2017, it is my primary heat source. I annually remove all the innards and pressure wash it and open it up, and clean/oil it 1 or 2 times per season. I've never replaced the auger bushing (Apparently I should have been). There's a good groove worn down into it, which has caused a misalignment down into the auger step-down transmission and caused it to eat itself. I've got 1 main question and a couple of ancillary questions.
IMG_9577.JPG
IMG_9553.JPG

How often should I be changing auger bushings (there is no reference in the service manual)?
Does anyone have a good replacement source?
What is a good grease to use inside the gearbox?
Are there any improvements that can be made (Enviro EF2 specifically)?

Why are heat reclaimers contra-indicated for pellet stoves? (something like THIS)

Last edited:
Some people clean and oil bronze auger bushings yearly. Most just replace them when they wear out.
Most run an auger motor till it dies,then replace it. But any light moly grease would work.
All major pellet stove parts places have good web sites, and several of the bib ones have ebay stores.
For improvements/upgrades, use the above search box, and the net.
Pellet stoves require double wall pipe, and I know of no heat re claimers made for this pipe. have seen some homemade ones on the net, pretty ingenious ones, but remember would not be approved by state and local codes, nor your insurance. Also, many stoves have very little inside vertical flue.
Note- some stoves can be "upgraded"? to nylon bushings instead of bronze.