Auger keeps jamming on my Whitfield WP 2 Advantage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tracey B

Jan 5, 2023
Texas
The Auger keeps jamming on my WP2 Advantage and it also doesn't seem to speed up when turning up the ratio dial. Do I need a new motor even though it is running? Once completely cleaned out the auger appears to work fine. Once I put small batch of pellets back in, get the fire going it will jam within 5 mins or so.

The Auger keeps jamming on my WP2 Advantage and it also doesn't seem to speed up when turning up the ratio dial. Do I need a new motor even though it is running? Once completely cleaned out the auger appears to work fine. Once I put small batch of pellets back in, get the fire going it will jam within 5 mins or so.

I'm having a similar issue as well. I'll let you know if I find anything. For me, it all started when I set the heat output to a high (4 or 5) setting. Now the augur won't work at all after running for a few minutes on a low setting. The augur light keeps blinking though. Yes, this is a Whitfield WP2 Advantage Insert Pellet Stove.

It's old, and is probably long over due to have the auger bushings replaced, auger tube well cleaned, and a new motor.

The issue is most likely you have a bad bronze auger bushing. Many years ago Dr Whitfield realized that issue and developed his space age Nylatron Auger bushing and end plate. He then sent a memo to all his dealers to upgrade their existing stock. The lubrication in the bronze bushings dries up and sometimes they gouge up and get frozen onto the auger so the bushing will turn in the end plate and feed pellets erratically! The new Nylatron bushing is permanently lubricated and lasts a very long time. I have recently seen this problem on a 30 year old Whitfield Advantage I because some stoves were sold before the upgrade.
Make sure you get a Nylatron if you have the bronze bushing. :)
See my pics here

1AB3CA72-42B8-44FC-83B4-B3D5F8C4B9AE.png

Last edited: