auger lubricating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
simply adding a tube of powdered graphite to the hopper periodicaly would work well, and it wouldnt be likely to catch fire. im not sure i would want a flammable liquid coating my fuel feed pathway.

X2 !! Mike

Sorry I did not see this forum topic sooner. I am the guy in the video.
I would not recommend pouring cooking oil down the auger tube if the stove is a top feed. That would probably contribute to developing a slug of sawdust in the hopper at the entrance of the auger tube.

On the other hand, The Upland 207 Pellet Stove is a bottom feed. The oiled pellets, crud and any sawdust is pushed through the tube into the burn pot.

When the fire normally goes out, the front end of the auger smooth auger gets a little crusty. In the event of an unplanned shutdown such as a power failure or loss of draft, the fire is smothered for safety sake. When smothered, the auger may get a little sticky. The cooking oil loosens things up.

A few years back, a customer ran the stove for seven weeks without cleaning nor checking the auger resistance ( test lever ). The auger jammed solid. They could not break it loose. They asked if they should try spraying the burn pot and auger chute with WD-40. I said "no" thinking the house would smell horribly.

However, I did suggest that they place a cooking tin under the stove and the pour a half cup of cooking oil into the burn pot and the chute at the bottom of the hopper. Then let it work overnight. Sure enough, the next day the gear motor was able push out a slug of ash, carbon and pellets that have had been ground into sawdust.

So, I added a little cooking oil to the first pellets through the auger when starting a fire. The auger resistance which is higher until the stove heats up was greatly reduced. The oiled pellets more easily purged out any residue left on the auger flutes and in the auger tube. Now I do it whenever starting the stove. Considering that the Upland owner only cleans and relights their stove once a month, it is a handy, easy tip that ensures a smooth start.

Sorry I did not see this forum topic sooner. I am the guy in the video.
I would not recommend pouring cooking oil down the auger tube if the stove is a top feed. That would probably contribute to developing a slug of sawdust in the hopper at the entrance of the auger tube.

On the other hand, The Upland 207 Pellet Stove is a bottom feed. The oiled pellets, crud and any sawdust is pushed through the tube into the burn pot.

When the fire normally goes out, the front end of the auger smooth auger gets a little crusty. In the event of an unplanned shutdown such as a power failure or loss of draft, the fire is smothered for safety sake. When smothered, the auger may get a little sticky. The cooking oil loosens things up.

A few years back, a customer ran the stove for seven weeks without cleaning nor checking the auger resistance ( test lever ). The auger jammed solid. They could not break it loose. They asked if they should try spraying the burn pot and auger chute with WD-40. I said "no" thinking the house would smell horribly.

However, I did suggest that they place a cooking tin under the stove and the pour a half cup of cooking oil into the burn pot and the chute at the bottom of the hopper. Then let it work overnight. Sure enough, the next day the gear motor was able push out a slug of ash, carbon and pellets that have had been ground into sawdust.

So, I added a little cooking oil to the first pellets through the auger when starting a fire. The auger resistance which is higher until the stove heats up was greatly reduced. The oiled pellets more easily purged out any residue left on the auger flutes and in the auger tube. Now I do it whenever starting the stove. Considering that the Upland owner only cleans and relights their stove once a month, it is a handy, easy tip that ensures a smooth start.

Hello

There is a recommended treatment for the auger now. Pull it out and buff it down with a wire wheel on a drill/driver and grind down any bits of slag splattered in the wrong spots.(I call them Auger Pox!). Then clean the auger and chute with a rag and acetone and spray Dry Moly on the auger and in the auger chute. Dry Moly is a high temperature Industrial dry film that adheares to the metal auger and makes it non stick and real slick. Dry Moly is made by CRC that makes many other sprays for automotive use.
See pics on how to "Pimp your Augers!" :)
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-little-auger-burs-pimp-my-auger-pics.102423/

upload_2014-2-22_8-21-49.png

Last edited:
I have great success with this graphite product DSCN0375.JPG DSCN0374.JPG

Have not pulled the auger on them yet. No need to make work if one does not need to. Hestia and Kernal burner boiler though.

Status
Not open for further replies.