auger lubricating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Sorjanen

Sep 21, 2012
Moscow Maine
I was watching a video on cleaning a Nu Tech upland 207 pellet stove. The guy when done added a couple tablespoons of cooking oil to a soup can of pellets and put them in the auger when he went to start the stove. He said it lubricates the auger. Has anyone every done this or heard of it being done?
Here is a link to the video:

Seems like that cooking oil will encourage more dust to settle on the auger. My manual says nothing about lubricating the auger and that's what I'll do.

Sounds like the oil and the fines will combine to make a real mess. Any lubrication will soon be removed by the pellets and fines passing through, anyway. The rest would just make clumps. I think a spray moly or silicone would be better, but I opt for no lube at all.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
I agree, thinking myself cooking oil would just goop up the works. Doesn't sound like a good idea too me.

Just to set things right I thought it was weird especially coming from a manufacturer. I was looking at the video on the stove, because they seemed interesting. No blower motors at all and was thinking that they must real quiet. But I don't think I would try it on my stove.

Maybe he likes his auger "seasoned"? Great for cast pans.

Maybe he likes his auger "seasoned"? Great for cast pans.

And pizza pans.

Actually there are several folks that do this and claim it cleans up the fines quite well. I can't say what it does and my stove rarely has any problems with fines as I let it run out of pellets and use the vacuum every so often.

Long time burner Stovensen is one.

I've never added any type of lube to the auger, and have never had any problems with the feed. After time, the auger gets polished by the pellets....mine is smooth as a baby's a**.

Jay has been on about touching his pellet lately, maybe some lube would help out.

That is a underfed system, I doubt that it really needs the oil. But it is completely different than a top feed, and a Bottom feed.

The fuel is "pushed" up from the bottom of the fire/pot. So as long as the auger is spinning and there is proper draft, it shouldn't "burn back".

On my old EF-2 I used to do it about every few weeks.
I had a lower Auger bushing going out and it would squeal.
A bit of cooking oil would quiet it down for a few weeks.

The proper fix was to replace the bushing.

Never had any fines "gum" up the auger and the excess oil was worn away fairly quickly by pellets.

It worked for me until I replaced the bushing.
Just Sayin'

---Nailer---

Has anyone every done this or heard of it being done?
There was a rather heated discussion a few months back on another thread.
There are people who just can't stand the thought of mixing some organic fuel with their organic fuel. Personally I don't see a problem with it, but at the same time I have never had a need for it. My Mt Vernon will swallow anything and, if it is combustible, burn it. My PDVC gets babied a bit more, but I have never had to resort to anything but clean, good, pellets.

Hello

The best treatment for any auger is to clean off all dirt and carbon with a wire wheel. Grind down any welding rod pimples or burs. Then smooth rough edges with emory cloth and clean with acetone. Then spray with high temperature "dry moly spray" to make it real slick. I have done it many times with excellent results every time!

I knew a guy that would oil an engine head gasket before putting an engine back together !!! ....he always wondered why the gasket blew within a year;ex. Sounds like both idea's were by dum azzes:confused:

I knew a guy that would oil an engine head gasket before putting an engine back together !!! ....he always wondered why the gasket blew within a year;ex. Sounds like both idea's were by dum azzes:confused:

And pizza pans.

Actually there are several folks that do this and claim it cleans up the fines quite well. I can't say what it does and my stove rarely has any problems with fines as I let it run out of pellets and use the vacuum every so often.

Long time burner Stovensen is one.
I scoop the pellets out;easier than waiting for running out. Then I vacuum the auger. On one of my stoves,the Enviro, I can see the bushing closest to the motor so I put a few drops of a teflon treated lubricant around the bushing. Then I tap the auger lightly with the plastic handle of a screwgriver, The vibration pulls the oil between the bushing and the shaft.

I scoop the pellets out;easier than waiting for running out. Then I vacuum the auger. On one of my stoves,the Enviro, I can see the bushing closest to the motor so I put a few drops of a teflon treated lubricant around the bushing. Then I tap the auger lightly with the plastic handle of a screwgriver, The vibration pulls the oil between the bushing and the shaft.

Hi Stevekng
Did you see the welding rod pimples I found on the Enviro auger? ? Great way to hang up pellets and cause a jam!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/enviro-with-aps-auger-pox-syndrome-and-blue-goo-see-pics.106715/

I scoop the pellets out;easier than waiting for running out. Then I vacuum the auger. On one of my stoves,the Enviro, I can see the bushing closest to the motor so I put a few drops of a teflon treated lubricant around the bushing. Then I tap the auger lightly with the plastic handle of a screwdriver, The vibration pulls the oil between the bushing and the shaft.

Hi Stevekng
Did you see the welding rod pimples I found on the Enviro auger? ? Great way to hang up pellets and cause a jam!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/enviro-with-aps-auger-pox-syndrome-and-blue-goo-see-pics.106715/

Hi Stevekng
No. I never even noticed any welds until this thread made mention of them. They're smooth on mine. But maybe polished smooth over the 6 winters of use. I wouldn't worry. The auger keeps the pellets moving and you would have to have a pellet the size of Manhattan to jam anything up.(IMHO)

simply adding a tube of powdered graphite to the hopper periodicaly would work well, and it wouldnt be likely to catch fire. im not sure i would want a flammable liquid coating my fuel feed pathway.

Status
Not open for further replies.