Auger maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BackDoc

Jan 5, 2018
Maryland
I have an Englander with the dual auger system. I bought it used for $500 and cleaned it up and tinkered with it and ended up with a pretty good stove. No issues at the moment. Last week I heard what sounded like a mild groan. I shut the stove down and greased both augers with a grease gun. Silence. Seems kind of soon to need lubed. How often do you guys grease your auger fittings?

I have an Englander with the dual auger system. I bought it used for $500 and cleaned it up and tinkered with it and ended up with a pretty good stove. No issues at the moment. Last week I heard what sounded like a mild groan. I shut the stove down and greased both augers with a grease gun. Silence. Seems kind of soon to need lubed. How often do you guys grease your auger fittings?

i never knew I had to. interesting question, would like to see what others say.

I usually do them when i do my spring cleaning. But i also tear the stove down completely. Clean, repaint if needed, oil the motors, check end play on my auger motors. Reassemble and on to the list the warden has made.

Some of the auger motors have a small hole on the out side of the bearing cover, top, that should have a few drops of oil added to it once a year.

Reactions: BackDoc
Seems kind of soon to need lubed. How often do you guys grease your auger fittings?

Not as often as I should! You can't really over grease the bearings, it will just leave a greasy mess on the bottom of the stove!

Thank you for the reminder, going to get my grease gun from the garage now.

Bill

Reactions: BackDoc
1. what type of grease do you guys use? I have a spray can of lithium grease, is that ok to use?
2. How do I grease my auger fittings? Do I just pull the stove out, will I be able to do it from the back?

It depends on the brand and model of your stove. My Englander is accessible from the rear. You should be able to see the grease fittings. I use general purpose grease. You need a grease gun. The motor should have a weep hole, put a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil in them. YouTube has some good videos showing how to do it.