Auger motor stops feeding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richardhollister

Dec 8, 2009
Shingle Springs, Ca
I replaced my auger motor and a limit switch a couple of years ago and it has been working fine, but now at the start of this winter season, it has started acting up. It will feed a couple of turns and then stop. The light will still blink, but the auger motor will not turn. I unplug the stove and plug it back in and the auger will feed for a couple of turns and then quit again.

skymaster said:
I replaced my auger motor and a limit switch a couple of years ago and it has been working fine, but now at the start of this winter season, it has started acting up. It will feed a couple of turns and then stop. The light will still blink, but the auger motor will not turn. I unplug the stove and plug it back in and the auger will feed for a couple of turns and then quit again.

Welcome skymaster,

We need the make and model of the stove to fully under stand it. But I would take a wild shot at it isn't making the vacuum switch. Have you checked the door seals and general stove area's that make be leaking air? Or the vavuum hose maybe plugged with something. Disconnect hose from the switch and blow air thru the hose towards the stove.

jay

skymaster said:
My stove is a Whitfield advantage II mid 1980 or 90's.
There is a forum member by the name of "Mr Whitfield" that is very knowledgeable about your brand of pellet stove. If he doesn't
happen to see this thread, try sending him a PM with all the stove info & symptoms.

Great. I will look him up.
Did pull my vacuum hose and it worked. Also cleaned out the exhaust dust.

Put everything back together and it wasn't working, so pulled the vacuum again and it worked. Must be something wrong with the vacuum somewhere.
Thanks again for the heads up....

skymaster said:
Great. I will look him up.
Did pull my vacuum hose and it worked. Also cleaned out the exhaust dust.

Put everything back together and it wasn't working, so pulled the vacuum again and it worked. Must be something wrong with the vacuum somewhere.
Thanks again for the heads up....

Pull the hose completely off, check that it's clear of all "cr*p", and check the fitting on the blower and switch where it attaches. If that doesn't work, try bypassing the vacuum switch for a few minutes to see if the switch is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.