Auger Motor will not turn on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

schultz_300

Nov 6, 2017
Wisconsin
Hey Guys! I have been reading this forum and the advice is great – but I still have an issue and need help!

I have a quadra fire classic bay 1200. It’s about 6 years old. My auger motor will not turn on. I turn on the stove, red call light comes on but the auger will not start. I tested the connection at the motor and I am getting 33 volts to the auger motor (I think it should be 120.. right?). I cleaned the entire unit and pipes going outside.

- I bypassed the vacuum switch

- I bypassed both snap switches

Still will not turn on the auger. I bought a new auger motor and tried that, but still not working. I put a new gasket in the door last year. When I turn on the stove, the control board (clear box) blinks blue - 1 blink about every 5 seconds.

Any thought?? I have been messing with this every night for the last week. about to call the repair man..

One other note – the stove was plugged in all summer and when I went to get it ready for winter, the pot was totally full of unburned pellets – like the auger was turned on a bunch of times but it did not light, the hopper was still half full.

Now the auger will not go at all.

Any help would be great ---!!

Thanks

Tim

Vent pipe clear, combustion fan moving air?look closely at the guillotine gate on the firepot cleanout if the rod jumped out it will leave the bottom open to the ash pan. I will ck mine when i get home tonight and give you start up voltage.

Vent pipe clear, combustion fan moving air?look closely at the guillotine gate on the firepot cleanout if the rod jumped out it will leave the bottom open to the ash pan. I will ck mine when i get home tonight and give you start up voltage.

Thanks for the reply -- Yes vent pipe cleaned - I took all the pipes apart and cleaned. combustion fan does turn on when the red light comes one. I checked the door seal last night as well... it's tight. guillotine gate is closed - I opened up the compartment on the front and cleaned between the firepot and the ash pan last night. I could feel the firepot was getting warm (not hot) last night when I was trying to turn it on and test things more... still at the same point where the feed light comes on, convection blower comes on... but auger will not start. Thanks again for helping!

Mine, as soon as the call for heat light comes on it has 115v at the auger. try jumping the connections to the vac switch. I would ck all connections while your there

Mine, as soon as the call for heat light comes on it has 115v at the auger. try jumping the connections to the vac switch. I would ck all connections while your there
Thanks Ssyko --- I did try to bypass the VAC switch and it still did not work. I also bypassed the snap switches as well. Basically tried to bypass every switch at the same time .. still no go. I think it may be down to the control board or maybe the thermocoupler... ? The Thermocoupler looks good... but not sure if that is causing the problem. when I try to start it and watch the control board - I get 6 blue lights that flash over a period of about 10 seconds - then no other lights in control board. I have a maintenance guy scheduled but they are two weeks out...

have you checked the TC? make sure its still twisted together and silver soldered, make sure its touching the end of the Porcelain tube. i have never had my control board out and mine is much older so it probably is a lil diff anyway

you have this on a thermostat or jumped?

have you checked the connection at the control board? You have done everything i would have done. I'm leaning towards a new control box. gotta use a good surge protector. these guys here all preach it and i learned it the hard way! somebody more knowledgeable than myself should pipe in and help more

Lighting hit my utility pole this summer lighting072217.jpg

thanks for all your replies Ssyko ---- I am at that point of either buying a new control board to try to see it that is the issue or wait for the tech to come out... lol.

Hey Ssyko - picked up a new control box last night... fixed my issue. back up and running now. I also have it connected to a surge protector -- spendy lesson learned.

thanks for you help!

Nice!! Let the heat beguin!!! : )