auger turns off when ignition cycle over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slatt

Oct 21, 2017
Sonora
I have a Hongsheng which I think is now a USStoves pellet stove. My problem is the auger turns off when the ignition cycle is complete. Pellets drop well during ignition but then when that cycle is over and the main fan turns on the auger quits. I can jump the vacuum switch and the auger works fine. I installed a new switch and it still doesn't work. The vacuum tube is clean and I have cleaned the venting to the cleanout. I even tried activating the vacuum switch by sucking on the hose but no results. Any thoughts?

Not familiar with that model or brand. However it sounds like stove thinks fire went out so not feeding more pellets. Usually a snap disk has to be heated up enough during initial fire starting in order to continue auger operation. If you have a manual or schematic to reference that would help. Typically this snap disk is near the exhaust blower.

Jumping the vacuum switch causing the stove to run leads me to believe that there is insufficient vacuum - except for the fact that drawing on the hose didn't work. You would need to maintain a steady vacuum to the switch over a period of time - is that what you did? Installing a new vacuum switch eliminates that item. I suspect your venting is blocked, or your combustion fan is defective or slow, or you have an air leak around the door, ash door, or elsewhere. Try the dollar bill test on all doors on the stove.

Jumping the vacuum switch causing the stove to run leads me to believe that there is insufficient vacuum - except for the fact that drawing on the hose didn't work. You would need to maintain a steady vacuum to the switch over a period of time - is that what you did? Installing a new vacuum switch eliminates that item. I suspect your venting is blocked, or your combustion fan is defective or slow, or you have an air leak around the door, ash door, or elsewhere. Try the dollar bill test on all doors on the stove.

Thank you so much for responding. I'm stuck and really appreciate your help. I will try the dollar bill test and clean the entire flu. the combustion fan seems to blow well as well as the exhaust fan. I drew on the vacuum switch for about 10 sec. Not sure if that was long enough. I have included a the only diagrams I have. Not sure if they will help. The snap discs are number 18 and 20. Thanks

Attachments

• blow up of stove 001.jpg
    blow up of stove 001.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 117
  • stove diagram 001.jpg
    stove diagram 001.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 87
Make sure the nipple where the vacuum hose connects to the stove is not plugged, also. You could pull the hose off the vacuum switch and blow towards the stove. Do NOT put pressure into the vacuum switch itself - it's delicate inside.

Sounds like a proof of fire switch- if it turns on, feeds then vacuum is being sensed. Once ignition occurs, if the proof of fire doesn't send a signal back to the control board, then the aujger will not continue. The stove thinks ignition has not happened...

Good point, but why does jumping the vacuum switch keep the stove running?

HS- sorry, missed that part..... I retract that, you're right. If jumping the vacuum switch makes it work normally, then it can only be air flow through the stove. I'd recheck the exh path, door gasket for leakage, ash pan door not being closed properly, etc. Insufficient air flow through the stove is the culprit. Exh blower nice and clean? And like HS said, check the vacuum hose and nipple to be clear so it can sense vacuum.

It sounds like the low limit snap switch or pof as some call it. When that closes on start up it gives you the ability to control the stove and the convection fan comes on. Does your on light change color before the auger shuts off?

Did you solve your problem ?