Auto-Igniter Economy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RKBAGUY

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Milford, PA
Howdy, guys. Now that I have a stove with a true thermostat and auto-ignition, I've been wondering if anyone has done an analysis to determine the cost efficiency of running in T-stat mode and letting the igniter light up pellets on demand versus the 'old style' of running constantly but at a variable rate.

Here's what I mean.

I've noticed that my p35i will run on demand until the thermostat is to temperature, the auger slows then stops feeding, the distribution blower slows then stops as the pellets burn down, and the stove cools. Sometime a half hour later (or whatever amount of time...) when the thermostat calls for heat, the stove restarts by feeding pellets and runs the igniter.

The question is, which is more efficient? Does it cost more to run the electric ignition to re-start pellets, or is it better to jut run on 'constant burn' (as Harman puts it) and let the pellets stay lit?

Just curious. This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands. ;-)

My quad works great on a Tstat. I never broke it down to the lb, but i can get a bag a day keeping a well insulated 1600sq ft house at 72. Off the tstat it burned about bag and a half and changing setting frequently.

I'm testing right now my TRPIP in thermostat on/off mode and so far yes I do use considerably less pellets, and I am not having to fart around with the settings as when I was using high/low it was always too hot in here every time the weather changed. As for shortening the life of the igniter I will see.

Howdy, guys. Now that I have a stove with a true thermostat and auto-ignition, I've been wondering if anyone has done an analysis to determine the cost efficiency of running in T-stat mode and letting the igniter light up pellets on demand versus the 'old style' of running constantly but at a variable rate.

Here's what I mean.

I've noticed that my p35i will run on demand until the thermostat is to temperature, the auger slows then stops feeding, the distribution blower slows then stops as the pellets burn down, and the stove cools. Sometime a half hour later (or whatever amount of time...) when the thermostat calls for heat, the stove restarts by feeding pellets and runs the igniter.

The question is, which is more efficient? Does it cost more to run the electric ignition to re-start pellets, or is it better to jut run on 'constant burn' (as Harman puts it) and let the pellets stay lit?

Just curious. This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands. ;-)
Once you have established a fire you can run it in room temp manual mode. Once the tstat is satisfied it will burn in maintenance mode till there is a call for heat. That way you’re not letting the stove shut down. The way the weather has been here lately I’m in room temp auto so it does fire up and shut off completely. Once temps drop I’ll be in room temp manual

So, let's get back to the original question, if we can.

Has anyone calculated if there's any difference in COST between running in Thermostat/Igniter versus continuous burn?

For example, if you save 25% of a bag by running off the Tstat (instead of continuous) but it costs $3 in electricity to fire the pellets every time the stove needs to start, then I'd say it's a net loss if the value of the pellets saved is only about a buck.

Alot of variables to calculate , size of home, insulation, outside temps, etc. My guess would be that the difference is minimal and not even worth calculating, just use the stove how it works best for your situation and enjoy being toasty.

Reactions: FirepotPete
Alot of variables to calculate , size of home, insulation, outside temps, etc. My guess would be that the difference is minimal and not even worth calculating, just use the stove how it works best for your situation and enjoy being toasty.

This^^^

I like not having to go in there and fiddle with the stove, it just turns on when the thermostat wants heat. I do use less pellets which is nice too. As far as electricity use, I doub't there will be much difference although the cost of a new igniter will be.

Last edited:
If you know all the variables you can work out the answer to the question.
But one variable is < how many times will the igniter ignite before it ignites no more ? >
1000 to 5000, 10000 ? who knows - and you can rely on Murphy's law for when it does fail.
Also running on 'minimum pellet mode' reduces my ' mean time between cleaning' from 4/5 days to 36 hours.
Financial considerations are at the least of my worries in this conundrum.

Reactions: rich2500 and Ssyko
Never did it buy cost,but in cool weather,I run off stat.Cold weather,I run off stat,but with switch to up position,so stove goes down to idle.If it is going to start more than 2 times in 4-5 hours,I leave switch up.Unless I am not home.

if i'm cold i turn up the heat!
if i'm hot i turn down the heat!
I will be comfortable in my home that is all

Reactions: dozerdean