Automatic door fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis Koble

Dec 2, 2005
A buddy from work hooked me up with this 12volt dc fan. He hooked up the fan to a thermostat so you can set it and forget it. As the temp gets to say 78 Deg (Or wherever you set it) the fan turns on and as it drops the fan turns off. You can tandem 2, 3 or as many as you wish inline. And being only 12 volt DC the wiring only needs to be very small gauge speaker wire. The best part is if the wire breaks you wont get shocked and the chances of a fire are much much less than a 120 volt AC fan. Here is what you would need to do this.

12 volt DC fan. Can get from www.mcmaster.com or else ware for fewer than 30 dollars. You can get any CFM you want from 1.5 to 148. I think around 50 to 80 CFM is best so you don’t cool down the air.

120 Volt AC to 12 Volt DC adapter. Radio Shack has them for under 20 dollars. They are small like your cell phone charger.

A thermostat for air conditioning. I used an old heater only thermostat with a mercury switch. If you use the old mercury switch type for heater only you will need to hang it upside down so it works in reverse.

So now when the room with the stove gets to hot the fan turns on and as it cools down it shuts off. Can you buy any of these pre-made? I think I will go get a patent :coolsmile:

My cost $15.59. for the ac to dc adapter. :cheese:

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 504
Is that setup UL listed? I don't see a pretty white sticker on that one. JK more power to the power of invention.

Clever, - nice job.

I knew I was saving that old thermostat for a reason.

Looks like EXACTLY what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.