Avalon Astoria Bay - Auger jams

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jafo

Dec 24, 2009
Northern NY
Once the auger gets any serious pellets in it, it jams up and won't turn. If I vacuum it all out, it turns. I haven't actually removed the auger and inspected the bushings, because I wanted to see if anyone here has any thoughts?

It is an Avalon Astoria Bay insert.

It helps if you put the brand of stove in the title. kap

Yes the motors can get weak, i would pull the auger and make sure the bushings are good an the auger shaft had no burs on it. Then try again if it still happens id replace the auger motor

I finally got some time to work on this. So while starting to loosen the set bolt holding the auger to the motor, I noticed it seemed too loose. So instead of taking the entire thing apart, I came to the conclusion that this was the problem. Get just enough pellets in the way and it would just spin on the auger shaft. I seem to recall taking that off a few years ago when there to get some graphite in there so as to quiet it all. My guess is that I didn't tighten it enough and the vibration over the years loosened it.

I have this bad habit of over-tightening things until they break which has created another bad habit of under-tightening so they won't break. Anyway, I tightened it up and all is working again.

Last edited:
;) glad its working again, stay warm!!

Reactions: Jafo
Well I guess not. It stopped working again. I dunno. I think I will just wrap it up for the year and worry about it next season.