Avalon Astoria troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rfav21

Nov 27, 2014
New Jersey
Pellet stove.JPG I have an Avalon Astoria FS pellet stove and am having a tough time keeping it burning correctly. Yesterday I did what I considered a thorough cleaning. I cleaned the fire pot, removed the firebrick and cleaned the refractory, cleaned out the exhaust ports, removed the combustion blower and cleaned, removed the exhaust vent out side if house and vacumed all fly ash or soot from all areas cleaned. I also removed the flexible inlet to check for debris, there was none. I fired up the unit after putting it back together. I set the unit on low-med and had the restrictor set on 2. The unit had a decent flame after about 20 minutes but as time went on the flame began getting smaller and I noticed some pellets were blowing right over the fire pot, I adjusted the restrictor to about 1 1/2 and the flame picked up to an ok flame. With that I had other chores to do and I figured let it run for a while and check back. The attached photo is the way I found the stove. Any help or advice is appreciated.

When cleaning exhaust ports are you using a dryer lint brush or at least a wire and a hose attached to shop vac? (stove completely cool and use drywall bag) The area on the back wall would also become clogged with fly ash too - if you are not trying to clean back there it will get clogged. Probably time to try the Leaf Blower Trick (search the forum). Make sure ash trap doors are closed properly when done.

The other thing to check would be the dollar bill test on your door to see how well it is sealing...

Thanks Lake Girl! I will definitely try what you're suggesting. I used basically and long brush that I had for
my grill to clean out the ports for the exhaust ducts. I looked into the leaf blower trick but I don't believe
that my leaf blower has the vacuum option. Could I possibly use a shop vac outside on the exhaust vent?

Probably best to buy a cheap vac ability leaf blower dedicated for this purpose ...

Edit: If using the shop vac, just use it inside but make sure you find a way to curve around the back corner by the pellet chute - wire, thump back wall with a rubber mallet or piece of wood once the fire brick is out, follow up with hose flexible enough to curve but rigid enough to direct where it goes attached to shop vac.

Once clean - if it is still occurring, further troubleshooting may be needed.

Last edited:
I'll definitely look into the leaf blower. I have a Cheetah ash vac and thats what I use on the inside
when cleaning the stove. I will try and make up an adapter to add a length of hose to the vacuum
hose. I'll also purchase a new drywall filter for my shop vac.
Thanks for the help! I will post a follow up after cleaning.

I have found that some pellet brands are faster/slower burning and need more or less air. The real test for your burn rate is how the flame looked. Do you have an active flame with a few sparks jumping out (like pictured in the manual)? If not, open the slider more. Sometimes I start mine on wide open (5+) then dial it back to get the flame right pushing it in 1 every 10 minutes or so.

Now, I only have a quad wall horizontal chimney through my wall (it is one of the acceptable setups and in VA it is legal...) and it is about 5 feet long. You can see the picture of mine by my name. About every 30 bags I do go outside and vacuum out the chimney. I don't own a leaf blower so I use my shop vac with a drywall filter on it. I leave the stove off until the chimney is cold to the touch (at least 2 hours). I do have someone in the house open the slider to 5+ turn on the stove when I am vacuuming it so that the convection blower gets going too and usually blows out some more.

with all that said, I am having a slow burn issue now and I believe it is related to a crushed gasket on my door or a missing one on my ash pan. I am posting a question about those. Also, I do have an OAK and have the vent open, not covered like some do. If you have a drafty house with a lot of negative pressure you may have some air issues with your stove...but a wide open slider should compensate for that.

oh, take off that rubber tube on the back and clean it out. Also, clean out the thimble to the exhaust blower with a pipe cleaner. A dirty one of those can contribute to the issue you are describing. Make sure you do this unplugged because there are live wires back there (ask me how i know).

Status
Not open for further replies.