Avalon FWP Insert whistling sound when burning normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomatoooman

Jan 8, 2016
Maryland
I just go my brand new Avalon Flush Wood Plus Insert (rectangular) installed and when burning it makes a whistling sound.The Flush Wood Plus is the medium size insert without a catalytic converter.

The unit has two controls. There is a bypass rod above the door which controls the flow of smoke inside the heater. When pulled out, smoke goes directly up the flue. When pushed in the smoke goes around the baffle, utilizing the secondary combustion and making the heater more efficient.

Then there is an air control slider to control the burn rate of the stove. Closed gives a low burn rate while open results in a high burn.

After starting the fire I pull out the bypass rod and open the air control. About 30 min later when it burns nicely I close the bypass road to take advantage of the secondary combustion and then the insert starts to whistle. Not super loud but enough to drive you crazy over time. When I open the bypass all the way it stops. If I push it in just a tiny bit it starts. The bypass can be pulled out about 3 inches and pushing it in just a quarter of an inch will start the whistling sound. The whistling does NOT change in intensity depending on how far it is pushed in. The whistling also does NOT change when the air control slider is changed.

The question is if this is normal. The installer told me that fire place inserts have wind noise and that's just the way it is. Somehow I don't buy that. Does anybody else have a FWP insert and can comment on the noise?

When the fire is off there is no noise regardless of the position of the controls.

I have an insulated stainless steel liner and about 20 feet of flue.

It's sucking air through the hole in the stove where the bypass rod passed through. Not sure what can be done about it, I've heard this before.

Ive got as totally different stove, but I get the same thing when my air intake is closed as far as it will go. It's the air getting pulled through the tiny opening still available to it. In my case I've noticed that I can tell how much my flue is drawing by how loud the stove whistles... If I shut down the air as early as possible it whistles less, if I wait till the stove top is hotter and therefore the draw is higher the whistle will be louder....

Mine isn't loud enough to be annoying, luckily... But if yours is, could it be down to your flue draft being pretty strong and could there be a way to reduce that?

I just go my brand new Avalon Flush Wood Plus Insert (rectangular) installed and when burning it makes a whistling sound.The Flush Wood Plus is the medium size insert without a catalytic converter.

The unit has two controls. There is a bypass rod above the door which controls the flow of smoke inside the heater. When pulled out, smoke goes directly up the flue. When pushed in the smoke goes around the baffle, utilizing the secondary combustion and making the heater more efficient.

Then there is an air control slider to control the burn rate of the stove. Closed gives a low burn rate while open results in a high burn.

After starting the fire I pull out the bypass rod and open the air control. About 30 min later when it burns nicely I close the bypass road to take advantage of the secondary combustion and then the insert starts to whistle. Not super loud but enough to drive you crazy over time. When I open the bypass all the way it stops. If I push it in just a tiny bit it starts. The bypass can be pulled out about 3 inches and pushing it in just a quarter of an inch will start the whistling sound. The whistling does NOT change in intensity depending on how far it is pushed in. The whistling also does NOT change when the air control slider is changed.

The question is if this is normal. The installer told me that fire place inserts have wind noise and that's just the way it is. Somehow I don't buy that. Does anybody else have a FWP insert and can comment on the noise?

When the fire is off there is no noise regardless of the position of the controls.

I have an insulated stainless steel liner and about 20 feet of flue.
The whistling most likely means too much draft a strong draw , I have solve this problem in the past for my customers by taking off the face plate and covering the air inlet partly with high temperature duct tape foil

Status
Not open for further replies.