Avalon Large Flush Hybrid: Owner's Input/Opinion Wanted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The Cabello, Boston and Venice are all fancy cast-iron surrounds on the Kodiak 1700 firebox. The Kodiak 1700 is a good medium-large insert with a nice-deep firebox.

Hey CT Just like BG said, its the same 1700 burn engine as its sister inserts. Take a look at their online manual for your mantle clearance, the Cabello 1700 looks like it needs around 45 in for an 8 inch mantle..... but looks like a mantle shield will get you there. I would say the only drawback of the cabello is its deep depth requirement. Enviro has a nice coupon sale going for August too, as do many Mfrs. Good luck with it.....

I'm going to take the wife for a better, in person, look at the Cabello. The price is better, they have the sale going on now (my local dealer says it's $200 off this particular model) and I think it might be a good heater? I'm concerned about the window size being small though...

Sounds good. Another insert in this size to look at would be the Pacific Energy Neo 2.5. It's a more contemporary look with a good viewing window.

just looked at the Neo. Looks nice. I am wondering if these, particularly the 1700, would do a good job heating my house. From what I see, the 1700 is cast iron, so that's a benefit there too.

The Enviro Cabella 1700 is a steel stove insert with a cast iron facade.

Hi- Def think the cabello is worth a look at, 2900 sqft is a big house, not sure if any insert will heat that well- but any 2.5-3 cuft insert should really help out.

Hey everyone. The wife and I are looking at inserts for a new (to us) house. Approx 2900 sq Ft, 9ft ceilings and a foyer. Not expecting to heat the entire house but with high ceilings and a foyer I'd love to cut our propane costs and have flexibility to run up temp at no cost during winter (we have plenty of free wood). Looking at flush, modern inserts and want big with the biggest viewing window preferred.

All of this said, I am looking very seriously at the Avalon Large Flush Hybrid. I am in CT and visited a local store with them on display. Sales guy seemed to say they sell well but I'd love to hear from some current owners what they like, don't like and if they would buy it again.

Also, any insight on costs for stove & install would be fantastic to give me an idea of what a good price would be as I start to shop if in fact this is the stove we go with. These don't seem cheap so getting a good price will be important and I plan to check with multiple providers.

Much appreciated!
Hey , I have Travis flush large hybrid. Did you get any stove yet? Let meknow what you want to know. The thread is kinda old, I assume you got something already?

Hey , I have Travis flush large hybrid. Did you get any stove yet? Let meknow what you want to know. The thread is kinda old, I assume you got something already?
thanks a bunch. We did get one, we went with the arched medium flush wood from fireplace X. Size fit just right in our fireplace.
any advice on starting and running fires? Only had a couple now, getting some buildup on the glass. I'm new to the process so I don't exactly know when to be closing the door all the way, adjusting air & flu, etc. I guess trial & error.

How seasoned is your wood? You going to get your glass dirty if wood is too wet or if you close the air too soon. My first overnight burn made my glass pitch black. Get a lot of glass cleaning gel. You will need it anyway

Reactions: redktmrider
How seasoned is your wood? You going to get your glass dirty if wood is too wet or if you close the air too soon. My first overnight burn made my glass pitch black. Get a lot of glass cleaning gel. You will need it anyway
wood is dry, 14-16% so I think I'm good there. To your point, I think I might be closing down the air too soon, probably need to keep it open longer to bring the temp up higher.

wood is dry, 14-16% so I think I'm good there. To your point, I think I might be closing down the air too soon, probably need to keep it open longer to bring the temp up higher.
14-16% sounds too good to be true for novice burner. I have 3 yo wood that not near 14 on fresh split Did you get cat thermometer with your stove?

Most of the time darkening glass indicates wet wood or starving stove for air. How did you measure your moisture content? It has to be at room temp on a freshly split piece of wood in the middle of of it. Just to show you what it takes to season wood I recently burn a piece of oak which was cut split and stacked 3,5 years ago and it had some juice coming out of it when burnt.