Avalon Olympic insert installation touble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 24, 2011
central MD
Hello,
Newbie here installing my first insert. It is an Avalon Olympic, and I have a 6" flexible chimney liner to install. I have an adapter that fits properly on the 6' liner, but the male side of the adapter fits very loose into the Olympic flange (about 1/8" gap). The Olympic flange measures 6-1/8" I.D. (which seems odd). The adapter measures 6" O.D. on the narrow male end.

What to I need to fix this so no smoke or fumes leak? Am I missing something, or is there a special adapter for the Olympic?
Thanks, MD cornburner.

Attachments

• Avalon Olympic throat.jpg
    Avalon Olympic throat.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 42
Hello,
Newbie here installing my first insert. It is an Avalon Olympic, and I have a 6" flexible chimney liner to install. I have an adapter that fits properly on the 6' liner, but the male side of the adapter fits very loose into the Olympic flange (about 1/8" gap). The Olympic flange measures 6-1/8" I.D. (which seems odd). The adapter measures 6" O.D. on the narrow male end.

What to I need to fix this so no smoke or fumes leak? Am I missing something, or is there a special adapter for the Olympic?
Thanks, MD cornburner.
An 1/8" flat gasket.

Thanks BHoller! Is this a normal part of the installation normally, or are we trying to correct a misfit?
Collar and adapter sizes vary. Sometimes the adapter needs crimped sometimes you need gasket. Other times it fits great. Don't forget to insulate the liner and install a blockoff plate