Averaging out moisture content

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaratogaJJ

Oct 31, 2008
Saratoga Springs, NY
As I've been going through my first winter as a wood burner, I started out burning almost exclusively the two tons of Envi-Blocks that I had bought over the summer.

I recently acquired about a 1/2 cord of hardwood, which I would estimate to be semi-seasoned. Definitely not green (most of it does have that hollow 'pop' sound when hit against each other or dropped onto a concrete floor, rather than the dull 'thud' associated with green wood), but it does have a moderate amount of sizzle when burned.

I am certainly aware of the negatives associated with burning unseasoned wood. However, I was wondering if I were to burn some of this semi-seasoned wood at the same time as two or three 6.5-pound Envi-blocks, the overall moisture content of the load would be driven down, and wouldn't cause any big problems with creosote and whatnot. The Envi-blocks are said to have somewhere between 5% and 8% moisture by weight, so would that offset the somewhat excessive moisture from the regular hardwood?

Essentially, my Envi-block supply will run out around maybe the first week of March. If, however, I can supplement the supply with some of this cordwood, I think I can stretch it out to maybe the 3rd or 4th week of March, which is pretty much the end of heating season in these parts, at which point I can begin planning for next year!

Thanks for any ideas/analysis you folks might provide!

Maybe average the way you are thinking, but it is still sap, which causes creosote. The only thing it needs is time; like wait until next fall before burning it. If the wood sizzles, it is not ready to burn even with something else.

I think it will help to some degree, especially in a non-cat stove.. the lower moisture content compress logs will help
maintain a hot firebox and support good secondary combustion. I've had good result mixing pallet wood with semi-season
wood in the past.

Just watch your chimmey make sure it doesnt build up cresote now would be a good time to sweep it!

Status
Not open for further replies.