Axe/ax to grind?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d.n.f.

Dec 14, 2007
Nelson BC
Does anybody even use an axe for splitting?
I find one useful for de-limbing but a maul seems to me to be the tool of choice for hand splitting.
Maybe use it for kindling?

Maul and wedges for splitting rounds. I use my axe primarily for kindling.

I use a 3 1/2 lb. axe for splitting rounds up to about 12" diameter that are nice and clean without big knots. I walk through the pile and quickly split those I can with the axe then move on to the larger and more stubborn rounds with the maul. A good technique will pop the wood apart nicely with the axe and it saves how much I have to swing the heavier maul. I only weigh about 140 so maybe for me it's easier to put the speed into the axe than heft the maul all day.

d.n.f. said:
Does anybody even use an axe for splitting?

My dad, of course. I think he may consider it a dishonor otherwise. I long ago inherited his splitting maul and our family heirloom hydraulic splitter. Mysteriously, however, he still keeps a wedge or 2 hanging around. I think in case he gets stuck, and when nobody's looking.

More seriously...he keeps several different types of axes at differing levels of sharpness, (edge angle), for these purposes. At his age, he's something to see. You know the type.

Is this most efficient for all logs? I doubt it. But he didn't get to be this strong at this age by doing things the easy way.

Status
Not open for further replies.