Baby Bear installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pemaquid

Sep 13, 2014
Pemaquid, Maine
Hi All- I picked up a totally refurbed Baby Bear. It looks like it just rolled off the line. I'm going to use it as supplement heat and as back up for when the power goes out. I travel a lot for work so I'm moving over to bio-bricks for fuel. I've got a masonry chimney that runs up the center of my small cape. I'm not new to using a wood stove- I've had a modern Vermont Castings- but this one is new to me. First off I've read a few threads recommending modifications and all kinds of stuff that is beyond me.

My questions are

Pipe configuration? My thimble is three feet above the stove. My best guess is the double skirt adapter 90 degree straight and then another 90 degree into the thimble.

The guy I bought it from recommended a damper in the pipe. I read somewhere else to never do that.

The more info I can get the better.

The single door Bear Series manual did not require a damper in the connector pipe. However, most chimney flues when the first manual was written for early stoves were larger than the stove outlet and in many cases an existing fireplace flue was used much larger than it should be. Hence, no mention of a damper to slow draft on the single door stoves. You should have a 6 inch preferably insulated flue or flue liner which then should have a damper in the first section of pipe to control the much stronger draft a properly sized insulated flue creates.

Sounds like you have a rear vent stove, so yes two 90* elbows would be necessary. The solid ones, not adjustable last longer, are stronger and don't leak.

You will find the correct manual for your stove in the sticky section at top of the Fisher Forum page. The "Bear Series Detail" thread is the one with the info on your stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.