Baby Bear Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 4, 2011
virginia
I have a baby bear and have been trying to get it ready for winter and have not been able to find a elbow to fit the rear, I tried a regular elbow, and the t connector and nothing would fit, this is what I have come up with it is a top vent pipe adapter to adapt to stainless pipe so it will fit up nice on the rear flue and ran the elbow into that any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3796.JPG
    IMG_3796.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 410
Yeah I know its double wall I am not worried about that I just want something to put on the back of the stove to hook up to the elbow I am tired of fooling around with this stove. I have a 1980's baby bear in my house and the pipe slide onto the back with not problem

Check it again. Dura vent 1672 double skirt adapter is 6”. I’ve sold them since the 70’s. It the only correct way without crimping to fit the pipe to the stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never saw one that a Tee didn't slip over the outlet pipe on the stove. Normally the pipe is 6 inch OD which fits the female end of a 6 inch pipe, elbow or Tee. The straight portion of the Tee is installed vertical, and the side female should slip over the outlet pipe just right. Was yours loose or tight?
Does your elbow female side fit the stove outlet?

Page 96 here shows the Dura-Vent adapter numbers with dimensions.
https://www.duravent.com/docs/product/dvl_durablack_L820_2012-sept_w.pdf

The Duravent adapter for the 6" flue pipe in the back of your Baby Bear is Duravent 6DBK-ADDB. I ordered bought mine from Home Depot.
Attached are some pictures of the adapter and elbow in the back of a Baby Bear.
In Baby Bear.JPG
Adapter and elbow (Loosely fitted)

Adapter.JPG
Inside the adapter. Close end goes into the stove.

Label.JPG
Label on Duravent Adapter box.

Reactions: CamFan
The t connector would not even come close to fitting the back of the stove I ordered the part Camfan suggested yesterday, so I will slip that on then connect to my existing elbow.

That is the same part shown in Don's center picture above. The inner pipe in that adapter should fit inside your outlet. The side of a single wall Tee should fit OVER your stove outlet, just like the female side of your elbow should fit over it. Your stove outlet should measure 6 inches OD. The inside will vary due to wall thickness requiring more of a crimp on a factory male end, or the use of an adapter. It doesn't cost anything to crimp the end down to fit, I guess some people just don't have the right tool to crimp it down far enough. The adapter makes a better fit.

Brown Mama Bear connection.JPG I use pipe strap for support when crimping.

P1010045.JPG Same stove with Tee OVER the outlet pipe.

That is the same part shown in Don's center picture above. The inner pipe in that adapter should fit inside your outlet. The side of a single wall Tee should fit OVER your stove outlet, just like the female side of your elbow should fit over it. Your stove outlet should measure 6 inches OD. The inside will vary due to wall thickness requiring more of a crimp on a factory male end, or the use of an adapter. It doesn't cost anything to crimp the end down to fit, I guess some people just don't have the right tool to crimp it down far enough. The adapter makes a better fit.

View attachment 237255 I use pipe strap for support when crimping.

View attachment 237256 Same stove with Tee OVER the outlet pipe.

If you put the female end to the stove then condensation and creosote will/can drip out instead of running back into the stove to burn up. I’m not stirring anything up but that is not a good install. When you can get the right part and do it like is recommended. Our shop would not install that

Reactions: jerrieric
If you put the female end to the stove then condensation and creosote will/can drip out instead of running back into the stove to burn up. I’m not stirring anything up but that is not a good install. When you can get the right part and do it like is recommended. Our shop would not install that

I'm only referring to trying the size with the female end. I only install with the Tee sideways so condensate drips down into the cap to be evaporated. Never a pipe or elbow on backwards.

Reactions: CamFan
It doesn't cost anything to crimp the end down to fit, I guess some people just don't have the right tool to crimp it down far enough. The adapter makes a better fit.

I do metalwork, mostly aluminum and I have a set of crimpers. I can say I had a very difficult time crimping the heavy metal (relative to aluminum) and the finished product is not perfect : )