Back into wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackfre

Burning Hunk
Oct 3, 2011
N CA
Having grown up heating with wood and had more than a few years where it was the only source of heat, I am now, after about 25 yrs without wood heat, ready to get back to a wood stove. Back in the 70's I had my own stove shop. I've fabricated some wood boilers for one-off systems and built a bunch of really neat wood fired saunas over the years. As well, I've represented a manuf of wood and coal combi furnaces and boilers and am a pipefitter/welder by trade. I have been in the hearth industry and represented a number of manuf through the years.

I just moved west and live in an old, old, by western standards, home. We loose power fairly frequently, 20 days last winter. I will probably get a generator I have located a dealer that has some pretty attractive pricing on the VC Encore that I want. It is a close-out, not the 2 in 1 model. That is okay with me. the house currently has a wierdly built stone fireplace with an old Earth Stove insert in it. You can fill that thing to the brim, get the fire rolling and if you sit 3' from the insert, with your hands 12" from the face of the ES, your hands will be moderately warm. I kid you not. Earth Stoves are good units, so I'm assuming the venting/vent connector are not controlled and as I do not think it safe, I cannot run it. I'm fixin' to tear the fireplace down, remove the ES and put in the free standing VC with a proper new Class A chimney. My only question is...how am I going to find the time to do this?

Anyway, I am looking forward to having a good wood stove again, and I hope to bring some positive experience to the forum. At worst, I have a lot of anecdotes, some of which I can share.

Welcome Jackfre. You will find a lot has changed with burning technology. It does sound like something is wrong with the Earth Stove. Maybe the bypass is not working anymore?

Before pulling the trigger on the Encore, read up on the repair history. There are other good stoves and inserts out there that may be less expensive, especially for maintenance and more reliable.

Welcome to the site. I hope you find what you are looking here and it sounds like you could have a lot to share as well.

Hope you spend some time around the place. Modern stoves / chimneys are something if you haven't operated one.

pen

Welcome to the forum Jack. From your opening story it looks as if you have a bunch of hearth experience to share. Look forward to hearing you chime in.

Welcome to the forum!

If you haven't read or heard elsewhere the EPA stoves have a need for wood that has been properly seasoned. There are always a lot of posts that seem to lead back to wood that isn't ready to burn causing a sorts of problems- low heat output, secondaries not lighting up, cats failing prematurely and such.

That being said, I think you'll find that after a bit of research there are many truly impressive stoves to choose from these days.

Finding time for an demo/install project is hard, but in the end it's worth the effort!

Enjoy your journey back to the land of wood!

Welcome to the forum . . . and as mentioned . . . things have changed a bit over the years . . . Vermont Castings has gone through a rough patch and for a time were not what they were back in the 1980s with multiple owners, unhonored warranties and issues with expensive parts . . . however, some recent users have reported some better experiences . . . just saying you will want to do some research on whatever stove you go with and look at all your options as there are many manufacturers in the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.