backpuffing smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Jan 19, 2006
I have a Thulman Majestic corner wood burning insert unit that was installed in a single story family room addition (probably in the 70s), attached to my 2 story home facing west. My exterior chimney seems to be 2 feet about the family room roof peak, but isn't nearly as high as the 2 story roof. The chimney is probably about 12 feet from the main part of the house.

On a windy day (typically wind from west coming over the top of the house), when not burning wood, I have cold air blowing down the flu and into room. When buring wood, sometimes smoke blows into room.

Any suggestions to solve the problem? Any guaranteed solutions?

I really like buring wood and would prefer not to move to gas direct vent.

Thanks.

If you're using it for heat I would highly recommend a wood insert. That aside look at the Vacustack caps. They make one for air cooled chimneys that should adapt nicely. Unless you have one of those majestics that have a sheet metal chase and are painted to look like brick. They have a 13x13 sheet metal "flue tile" In that case get a vacustack with a 13x13 adapter.

Thank you Shane. What do you mean a wood insert? I do have a sheet metal chase painted to look like brick and was told that a Vacustack wouldn't work because of that. Do they have adapters that will work? I didn't see them on their website.

I used a Vacustack on my WV house. Got some terrible backdrafts on windy days. Like fill the room with smoke kinda backdrafts.

The Vacustack solved the problem and worked like a champ.

I don't know if they make one for your application, just thought I would pass along my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.