Bad day with the Husky 22

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
I have the week off and finally staged a lot of the pine I need to split (and a little maple). Filled up the Husky with gas yesterday morning, grabbed by hearing protection, and when I turned around - gas was dripping (a lot of gas) from the air filter cover. Lost the whole tank in about 5 minutes. Took of the filter and refilled the tank to see if I could see the leak. No leak - thinking the float might have been stuck.

Run the splitter for about an hour, then look down at the hydraulic reservoir - fluid pouring out of a hole on the tip of the plug bolt.

Guess my splitter wanted the day off - it got it! Cheers!

Reactions: smokinj
Having a problem with mine. Got one 3 weeks ago, rattles like crazy in vertical position. Also leaking fluid from top of the pump.Taking it back in the morning, but don't know when they will have another one in stock for an exchange.

Rattling in the vertical position is not unique to the Huskees. Most H/V splitters I know of have this issue.

Reactions: ScotO
I think the hydraulic fluid was spilling because the splitter wasn't on level ground - at least I hope so - will find out today! Cheers!

Rattling in the vertical position is not unique to the Huskees. Most H/V splitters I know of have this issue.

Good to know, thanks for the input. It will stop if I put push the top of the beam. I thought my pump was leaking, but upon further inspection, it may have been oil from the oil change I did. It collected on the top of the pump. it's a pain to change the oil on this thing. I'm ordering a drainzit hose asap.

I think the hydraulic fluid was spilling because the splitter wasn't on level ground - at least I hope so - will find out today! Cheers!
+1
I always make sure to put something under the tire or else park it so the fill plug is on the high side. I gave up trying to keep the oil up to the fill mark cuz it kept overflowing when it got hot.

+1
I always make sure to put something under the tire or else park it so the fill plug is on the high side. I gave up trying to keep the oil up to the fill mark cuz it kept overflowing when it got hot.

Yep - hadn't thought of parking with the fill plug on the high side - rookie mistake! Wasn't too bad of a lean, but apparently enough. Cheers!

Just did a tune up on my friends 35t Husky that lives in my shed. Geesh - he is not as maintenance concious as I am. Hydro oil was pretty low and the engine oil was just wrong! Took the plastic top off the engine and cleaned out a 1/2 doz dead and petrified mice as well as their nest that have been there for who knows how long.

What is up with the silly, alluminum foil looking dip stick in the hydro tank??? This one was all bent up and looked like a crooked "s" - after straightening is out I have the oil filled to the 1/2 way point of the safe zone.

After new air filter, oil filter and plug it is running like a champ. I will be keeping on top of the maintenance going forward. The least I can do for having free, anytime access. I will report if there are any leaks or issues post tune up.

Reactions: ScotO
To help the rattle, remove the swivel pin that it pivots on for horizontal to vertical movement. Go get a spring that the pin fits inside. Remount pin with spring between I beam and pin. this wont make it silent, but trust me, it helps.

I'm sure the top pin that holds the cylinder in place would benefit from this as well althogh your looking at a much bigger spring.

To help the rattle, remove the swivel pin that it pivots on for horizontal to vertical movement. Go get a spring that the pin fits inside. Remount pin with spring between I beam and pin. this wont make it silent, but trust me, it helps.

I'm sure the top pin that holds the cylinder in place would benefit from this as well althogh your looking at a much bigger spring.
This ain't a bad suggestion but you could also use an extension spring hooked around the pin and anchored to the beam to keep the pin from rattling. I keep meaning to do this to my splitter. I just keep jamming a thin shim of wood in there to keep tension on that hinge.

On my MTD the hinge pin on it has egged out the hole so the whole beam rock sideways. I plan to ream it out and put in a bushing, replacing the pin with a grade 8 bolt and a nylock nut.

Thanks for the suggestion, will have to try this. Lowes or Home Depot, for a spring?

I'm pretty sure I got mine at lowes. If not there, Tractor Supply.

We put a couple fiber washers on ours to hold the rattle to a tolerable level.

shake rattle and roll they say, dance to that rythm!

Status
Not open for further replies.