Bad Odor - New Burn Pot or Tadpole Door Gasket on Quad Castile Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PelletFanatic

Dec 6, 2022
USA
Hello, I'm new to pellet stoves, having recently purchased a home with what appears to be a DIY installed Quadrafire Castile Insert. Stove is 7 years old as far as I can tell. Sorry for the long post but I'm having a weird issue with an odor and I have lots of details to share about it. I hope you'll read and let me know your thoughts. While I'm new to pellet stoves in experience, I'm well-researched on the subject but feel free to school me if I'm missing something.

Model: Quadra-Fire Castile Insert, vented out the wall with about a 10 foot vertical
Fuel Used: Golden Fire Pellets
Problem: Plastic Type Odor after replacing 2 gaskets and cleaning Stove
When does it happen?: Only when burning on high
Flame/Feed Adjustment: Flame is 4-6 inches above the pot on high with a very active, bright yellow/orange flame. Burns consistently well. On medium it varies from above the pot to below the pot as pellets feed.
Door gasket: https://a.co/d/4hC1O56
Burn Pot Gasket: https://a.co/d/5LqXUqh

Detailed Long Description: I've had zero troubles with the stove, it burns well on Golden Fire pellets but given the age and the degrading nature of the burn pot gasket (was literally falling apart when brushing gently to clean ashes), I decided to tackle some cleaning and general maintenance on the stove. After replacing the Burn Pot Gasket and the Door Gasket, I'm getting a noticeable smell when I burn on high. It's a plasticky smell that's unmistakable. If I burn on low or medium, zero smell. I monitor indoor air quality for CO, VOC and Particulates using a sensor nearby and it's not reporting anything of concern (VOC readings go crazy if I cut fruit or open a bottle of wine for instance).

To me, it smells like the backing glue tape that's used on the door gasket to attach the flat section to the glass. I've opened the door after the flame has gone out and there is the same strong odor when I sniff near the door seal. I've had about 6 long burns but the smell remains. Also sort of smells like when you melt/burn synthetic rope ends but the gasket material doesn't appear to be melting.

The gasket passes what I know of the "Dollar Bill Test" whereby I do feel resistance to pulling a dollar bill out in all areas of the gasket but I can pull the bill out if I try. I did feel like I wrapped the gasket a bit too far in on the glass, at least at the top but it still seals well.

I got the burn pot gasket on Amazon, description says it's OEM (but yes, I know that isn't always true). I got the Door Seal gasket from PelletHead (Earth Sense Energy Systems Inc.) sold on Amazon. The description also has language that would make you think it's the OEM gasket but it doesn't appear OEM to me, it included foil tape instead of the fiberglass OEM tape on the tadpole seal and it has many more stray fibers and also a different weave on the flat section with two raised thread sections (which I kind of used as a guide for where to wrap over the glass, having each raise thread on each side of the glass). Listing links above.

Should I just bite the bullet and spend almost triple to get a verifiable door gasket kit? I can't really imagine why this gasket kit would do this. I emailed PelletHead and they have not responded and it's been days. Not real happy about that but trying not to be a "Karen."

Thanks!

Hello, I'm new to pellet stoves, having recently purchased a home with what appears to be a DIY installed Quadrafire Castile Insert. Stove is 7 years old as far as I can tell. Sorry for the long post but I'm having a weird issue with an odor and I have lots of details to share about it. I hope you'll read and let me know your thoughts. While I'm new to pellet stoves in experience, I'm well-researched on the subject but feel free to school me if I'm missing something.

Model: Quadra-Fire Castile Insert, vented out the wall with about a 10 foot vertical
Fuel Used: Golden Fire Pellets
Problem: Plastic Type Odor after replacing 2 gaskets and cleaning Stove
When does it happen?: Only when burning on high
Flame/Feed Adjustment: Flame is 4-6 inches above the pot on high with a very active, bright yellow/orange flame. Burns consistently well. On medium it varies from above the pot to below the pot as pellets feed.
Door gasket: https://a.co/d/4hC1O56
Burn Pot Gasket: https://a.co/d/5LqXUqh

Detailed Long Description: I've had zero troubles with the stove, it burns well on Golden Fire pellets but given the age and the degrading nature of the burn pot gasket (was literally falling apart when brushing gently to clean ashes), I decided to tackle some cleaning and general maintenance on the stove. After replacing the Burn Pot Gasket and the Door Gasket, I'm getting a noticeable smell when I burn on high. It's a plasticky smell that's unmistakable. If I burn on low or medium, zero smell. I monitor indoor air quality for CO, VOC and Particulates using a sensor nearby and it's not reporting anything of concern (VOC readings go crazy if I cut fruit or open a bottle of wine for instance).

To me, it smells like the backing glue tape that's used on the door gasket to attach the flat section to the glass. I've opened the door after the flame has gone out and there is the same strong odor when I sniff near the door seal. I've had about 6 long burns but the smell remains. Also sort of smells like when you melt/burn synthetic rope ends but the gasket material doesn't appear to be melting.

The gasket passes what I know of the "Dollar Bill Test" whereby I do feel resistance to pulling a dollar bill out in all areas of the gasket but I can pull the bill out if I try. I did feel like I wrapped the gasket a bit too far in on the glass, at least at the top but it still seals well.

I got the burn pot gasket on Amazon, description says it's OEM (but yes, I know that isn't always true). I got the Door Seal gasket from PelletHead (Earth Sense Energy Systems Inc.) sold on Amazon. The description also has language that would make you think it's the OEM gasket but it doesn't appear OEM to me, it included foil tape instead of the fiberglass OEM tape on the tadpole seal and it has many more stray fibers and also a different weave on the flat section with two raised thread sections (which I kind of used as a guide for where to wrap over the glass, having each raise thread on each side of the glass). Listing links above.

Should I just bite the bullet and spend almost triple to get a verifiable door gasket kit? I can't really imagine why this gasket kit would do this. I emailed PelletHead and they have not responded and it's been days. Not real happy about that but trying not to be a "Karen."

Thanks!
I’d use OEM despite cost if it were me because of the fact I don’t like leaving my stove alone with potential knockoffs . Piece of mind IMO. That plus the fact that the gasket’s annual cost over its lifetime is probably reasonable.

Agreed. By not using OEM, the material used to make the gasket is more than likely different/cheaper. It’s misleading. Just like when you buy pellet that say 100% hardwood, website says the maker is PFI member, yet when you look at the pellets, I see blue in them. Which means they were mixed in with pallets.

I'm having same issue with a Castile too. I just did a deep clean and changed the gasket on the glass I had not used stove much in the last 3 years. I had some gasket material that was 7-8 years old and guessing something happened to the adhesive. I can see wisps of smoke coming off the outside of the gasket when on med or high and getting a chemical smell(wife not happy). Been going on for several days. About read to order a new OEM gasket...... Did your smell finally disipate?

I'm having same issue with a Castile too. I just did a deep clean and changed the gasket on the glass I had not used stove much in the last 3 years. I had some gasket material that was 7-8 years old and guessing something happened to the adhesive. I can see wisps of smoke coming off the outside of the gasket when on med or high and getting a chemical smell(wife not happy). Been going on for several days. About read to order a new OEM gasket...... Did your smell finally disipate?
Hello fish_ ... I am having the same issue after I replaced the glass gasket. My house filled with plastic/chemical smell (which i assume is the adhesive burning off) after burning on high for about 4-5 hours. Did you have any success with the smell disipating?