"bad tc firepot" Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

flybynight

Jan 20, 2021
Colorado
I replaced the firepot tc with a new aftermarket unit and the wall control STILL displays "bad tc firepot" after a few minutes into the startup. I've jumped the pins on the motherboard and the alarm does not come in. I've tested the tc with a flame and MV meter and the tc output increases and approaches 30 MV. I've tried the thumbtack trick on the female portion of the tc connector and still get the same result. I'm at a loss...the tc tests good and the board tests good with a jumper, yet I still get the firepot tc alarm when everything's connected. HELP!

new aftermarket still may be a bad one.. not the first time we have seen it
The mv might not be enough. I will get a pic of the tester i use
image.jpg

Last edited:
new aftermarket still may be a bad one.. not the first time we have seen it
The mv might not be enough. I will get a pic of the tester i use
View attachment 272351
Well, I went back and tested the thermocouple for mV DC output...tested good. I again jumped the firepot TC pins on the control board and the "bad firepot TC" error code DID NOT come in...I am out of options. This does not make any sense to me. I'm as sure as I'm sitting here the TC connection to the control board is good. I started thinking and remembered you saying something about seeing faulty "aftermarket" thermocouples in your experience, right out of the package, so I reversed the connector polarity (red wire on top) and it started and progressed through the firing modes as normal! I know that TC leads are polarity specific, but I wouldn't have guessed they were backwards from the factory. From what I've read, the stove won't run past "startup" with reversed firepot TC leads, so I feel comfortable leaving it with this configuration. Ever seen this?

Yep there has been alot of the aftermarket that have been reversed. Thats what happens with a lot of the cheaper Chinese stuff

Yep there has been alot of the aftermarket that have been reversed. Thats what happens with a lot of the cheaper Chinese stuff
Yeah; I should know better at this stage of the game. I still fall for "half price" after all these years! At least I stumbled on the problem without too many skinned knuckles and bruises. Thanks a million for humoring me!

Reactions: Ssyko