Bad turn knob? Can't turn off fireplace easily if it's been running for 10 or more minutes.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Poptart26

May 10, 2018
Wisconsin
I'm having some issues with the ON/OFF turn knob in my fireplace. It can move it to the left and right normally when the fireplace is off (albeit it still puts up some slight resistance when turning it to the right). I can adjust the knob pretty easily in the first few minutes of run time too. But around the 5 to 10 minutes mark, the knob completely locks up and the only way I got it to shut off was by taking pliers to the metal rod behind the knob and wrenching it back to OFF. I've tested this twice and I'm ready to stop there. The unit is supposed to be wood burning but you can add a gas line, not sure if the components for that came with installation or came after. I wasn't homeowner then.

Do you think there is some dirt or buildup creating an issue, or is my valve maybe bad? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190928_093834.jpg
    20190928_093834.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 316
That looks a lot like the unit in my outdoor fireplace, and if so, I believe that's normal operation. After an extended fire, when you try to turn it off, the knob stops at "Pilot". If you come back awhile later, it will easily allow you to rotate to "OFF". Is this what you are describing?

Yes, you need to push the knob to rotate from Pilot to OFF, but at least in the case of my unit, it must also be cooled to a certain point before it wants to go off. I believe if you are putting pliers on it and forcing it, you may be breaking it.

Pushing the knob in does not give any noticeable effects. I'm not even sure I can push it in. Last cold season there was no resistance to turning the knob off, pushing in or not. After testing it a little more, it resists turning to the off position regardless of whether or not the fireplace has been running. Here is a close shot of it after the knob fell off while pushing it in and turning (Don't know how)

20190929_090111.jpg

Here is how the unit normally looks after I stuck the rod back on.

20190929_090246.jpg

Maybe time for a replacement. I don’t think these are very expensive. The prior owner of my house had this one replaced during settlement, as a house warming gift to us.

Pushing the knob in does not give any noticeable effects. I'm not even sure I can push it in. Last cold season there was no resistance to turning the knob off, pushing in or not. After testing it a little more, it resists turning to the off position regardless of whether or not the fireplace has been running. Here is a close shot of it after the knob fell off while pushing it in and turning (Don't know how)

View attachment 248316

Here is how the unit normally looks after I stuck the rod back on.

View attachment 248315
Did you ever solve this? I think I'm having the same issue. Just turned off my mains gas to let it cool down, but that's not really a long-term solution...