Bad weather = good wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoct

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2008
Griffin, GA
Sunday night we had a mini tornado roll through within a block of my house. This area is really old and there is lots of huge oak trees around. I had seen a couple of trees down but am on a scrounging hiatus because I haven't finished taking care of what I've got yet. I told my wife that I was really getting antsy seeing all this wood but would not scrounge any because I still have so much work to do. Yesterday at work the city came knocking and asked if I was still interested in wood. I told them that I still hadn't split those monster rounds they gave me a few months ago. So the guy says there should be some smaller stuff and I should stop by and gave me the street. I went by and told the boss that I really appreciated the offer, but just couldn't handle anything big right now. Then he asks if it'd be ok to drop by some smaller stuff. So I reluctantly agreed that I could use it. They dropped this off in 3 loads. No idea of how much it is but will probably take me 5 loads or so with my pickup. All red oak of course. Here I am trying to not scrounge and they keep pressing wood on me. At least I'll have lots for next year. I'm probably working on 3-4 years out truthfully and that's for me and my dad too. I know without pics it didn't happen so here are some. Same pile... 2 views.

Attachments

• DSCF2894.JPG
    DSCF2894.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 363
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 344
I wish I had your problem

Nice problem to have. Now doc, just get that split and stacked, then forget about it for a couple of years and it will be very welcome to you on a cold winter night.

I've found that I really don't like working with wood in the Summer. It eats up your arms too much. In the winter you can wear a jacket that will keep you from getting scratched up too much. Not only that but the bugs. Oh, and I'm just plum lazy and can think of better things to do during the summer!

Nice score Doc! I agree with you about working on it in the winter time, much better than doing it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.