Baffle rust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
Just found out there are some surface rust on top of the surface of the baffle tubes. The wood I c/s/s are 2 yrs old ash and 4 yrs old oak and maple covered. Any of you have same thing happening to your stove as well? It's puzzling as the stove warms up the room and bring down the room humidity, heat is dissipating from the stove. I don't usually hear any sizzling noise from moisture on logs.

Some pics of the area will likely get you most helpful responses.

See pix
5cb15300f9d848e7a71fae7b81006958.jpg079c13965d1f10748834757fcb9d04b0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oxidation is accelerated by heat so this could be normal. The cracked baffle should be replaced or at least try to cement together.

It's normal, this happened to me on my T5 after last season (first partial season with it) and it was deemed normal by everyone on here as well as the dealer. One thing I might do after this heating season is rub the parts down with a bit of vegetable oil...We could argue the necessity of really doing that but regardless of rust being normal, I sitll hate seeing it or the thought of it getting worse.