Baffle slightly warped...should I be worried.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

setitonfire

Oct 24, 2013
Topsham, Maine
While inspecting my stove I noticed that the baffle is slightly warped in the center. This is my first year of burning and I didn't know if that should be expected or if I running my fires to hot. It may be hard to tell from the picture but it bows inward right along the holes. Do I need to worry?

20140324_151555.jpg

I have a PE Super insert and mine also warped a bit after the first year. I still get good secondaries and long burn times so I decided not to worry about it. The warp also has not become much worse. I suppose a slight warp is to be expected; it gets really hot up there. Are you monitoring the stove temps? Any reason for you to expect you overfired the stove? If you want to make sure send that picture to PE and see what they say.

P.S. Are you running the insert without the baffle pin?

This was my first year with my stove as well. I have the series B model of the summit and my baffle looks similar to your but droops a tad lower on the right side. Still get mean secondaries and the thing throws some heat so I am not really concerned. May replace it if it gets worse though.

I just noticed that the baffle pin was missing when I took the picture. I don't think it was ever put in when the stove was installed. Going to call the place that put it in and have them send me one. I do monitor stove temps with an IR gun. Have not seen it get out of control based on the IR gun readings (everything under 750). I still get great secondaries as well. Guess it's just rookie jitters.

It will look worse than that as the years go by, and will perform just as fine as always.
Do get the pin and put it in though.

Status
Not open for further replies.