Bagged a nice piece of Ash before Stella got to town

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangerbait

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2016
Shepherdstown, WV
Some friends had a nice big ash trimmed up near their house recently, and had the crew leave most of the trunk for me. I decided to get out early yesterday morning in the cold with my Father In Law who's visiting from Florida, and before Winter Storm Stella arrived, to fell and harvest what's going to end up being a good cord and a half. Stoked! Brought it home and added to the rest of the wood I've bagged since January when I decided I was putting in a wood stove (right after I got my December heating bill). Should be in pretty good shape for next season and beyond!

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0169.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3077.PNG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG

IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3084.JPG

IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

Last edited:
Well...the photos came out in reverse order for some reason, but you get the gist.
Nice looking wood! And what a difference a day can make. Teaches you to make hay while the sun shines...

Reactions: Rangerbait
beautiful!!!

Nice. My ash scores have saved me this winter. It's about 95% of what I'm burning lately.

Very nice, way to be a go getter and get it in! What did you get down your way? We got about 15 inches here in Emmaus, PA.

It's still piling up here. Now the lake effect is kicking in.

Nice score. I have a few neighbors that are totally unaware of the EAB threat so they are just cruising along waiting to be told why their yard trees are dead. As sad as that seems, some tree service is going to make a killing taking care of them this summer or next. One has a tree that was barely surviving last year and will see no new growth at all this year. The next had a minor impact last year and this year the damage will be obvious even to non-tree people.
My own ash yard tree was taken down 6 years ago and before I had a clue about EAB. While I am splitting the rounds I got from that tree I am surprised at the evidence of EAB that I have in that tree's rounds. The bark just falls off and the passages of the EAB under that bark are really obvious.

Last edited: