Bar Oil in the Gas Tank: Help Please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
What a fool, I know. I never made this mistake before, but today I put bar oil into my Jonsered's gasoline tank. I realized what happened before I ran the saw, so I drained all I could from the oil tank. What should I do now?

Thank you very much.

Mass. Wine Guy said:
... so I drained all I could from the oil tank. What should I do now?
Drain the GAS tank.

OK, problem solved. Bet you don't make that mistake again.

I see that there are no replies to this one yet so I'll put in my two cents based solely on opinion.
I would rinse it out with about 1/4 tank of your normal fuel mix, discard and then add a full tank of fuel and run this tank full without idling unnecessarily to try to minimize the chance of fouling the plug. It's always a good idea to have a spare plug on hand for any of your small engines, especially if you live some distance away from a retailer that would have them in stock.

Yep I have done it just the other way around gas in oil.
Mass. Wine Guy Does this mean your makin wine up your way? I do fruit wines here in Kansas.

Put some fuel mix in it and go cut some wood.

I rinsed the gas tank with fresh fuell mix, emptied and refilled it. My saw started but died a few times when I let the throttle out so I just let it idle for a couple of minutes, then gunned it. That seemed to do the trick, though I didn't restart it after I cut a small log and shut it off.

Cutter, I write about wine. Wish I made it.

My neighbor wanted to try my saw and I was just about to refill the bodily fluids. He said I can do it! The saw did not start and it was late, the next dxay I realized what he did. I dumped it and refilled. It started rough and definitely kept the skeeters away for a minute but then was fine...

Mass. Wine Guy said:
What a fool, I know. I never made this mistake before, but today I put bar oil into my Jonsered's gasoline tank. I realized what happened before I ran the saw, so I drained all I could from the oil tank. What should I do now?

Thank you very much.

Fill the tank about half full of gas and shake your saw till your arms wear out. Drain that gas. Repeat. Run as normal after that.

I've done that. Rinsed with gas,it was fine.

thankful for small blessings. usually the story is that the neighbor put straight gas in the right tank, in the borrowed saw, and it ran fine for a few minutes, then..........

I had a group of boy scouts out here last fall to 'help'. Once one of them saw the log splitter, that's all he was interested. While I was distracted with some other project he went and dumped hydraulic fluid in the log splitter's gas tank. We didn't use the splitter that day and luckily my husband 'thought' he''d seen the boy add the oil to the gas tank. We checked it out the next day, sure enough, oil in the gas tank. I drained the tank and stuck a rag inside the tank to wipe out what didn't drain out. Filled it up partially with gas (oil floats) and dipped another clean rag in to get the floating oil, drained the tank again. wiped it out again. Filled it up 1/2 way and then gave it a start. Ran a little rich for a couple of minutes and then it was fine. PS We never said anything to the scout leaders about this but then again they haven't shown up to 'help' again either. The way we look at is "Boys will be boys" (we raised 3 of them so we know) and there was no harm nor foul done.

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.