Barometric damper on non airtight stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

doodle1

Dec 4, 2019
So I've been doing some more reading and I have a question about barometric dampers vs internal flue dampers on non airtight stoves. It seems to me from others experiences that internal dampers on a non airtight stove don't really work as it creates a clog that can send smoke pouring back out of stove into room. A barometric damper on the other hand is the best way to regulate the burn rate of a non airtight stove and preventing backdrafts at same time. By opening barometric damper one can control the amount of air pulled through firebox vs through the flue which on a non airtight stove is really the only way to adjust burn rate. Are there some upsides vs downsides to this that I'm missing?

So I've been doing some more reading and I have a question about barometric dampers vs internal flue dampers on non airtight stoves. It seems to me from others experiences that internal dampers on a non airtight stove don't really work as it creates a clog that can send smoke pouring back out of stove into room. A barometric damper on the other hand is the best way to regulate the burn rate of a non airtight stove and preventing backdrafts at same time. By opening barometric damper one can control the amount of air pulled through firebox vs through the flue which on a non airtight stove is really the only way to adjust burn rate. Are there some upsides vs downsides to this that I'm missing?
By internal damper do you mean the air control?

The downside is that a barometric damper introduces cool air into the flue which spoils draft and promotes creosote condensation. If smoke is coming back into the room from the stove then the internal damper is not clogging, there is another issue happening - insufficient draft. That often is due to negative pressure in the room. A barometric damper will not correct negative room pressure.