Basement Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamztoyz

Oct 27, 2008
Western New York
I have searched all over the forum and read about basement installs for pellet stoves and I am planning a basement install. I have a 1600 sq ft cape with a fairly open floor plan and have a p24i breckwell insert that I used to heat the 1st and 2nd floor. I also picked up a Harman Advance for $200 on craigslist the guy didn't know what he had. I plan to install that is my rec room area as a back up. I just picked up a new Englander pdvc for the basement which I am in the process of framing so it will be finsihed. My question is that if I were to vent it out of a basement window I would not meet the criteria for the vent pipe because it would be less than 4ft away from the side of my one bedroom window. Can I vent it out the window and then turn it to the right and then go up? Or I have my old oil furnace flue that is in my masonry chimney that I could run it up with a liner. However this new stove requires an OAK so I am not sure how that would work because the chimeny is in the center of the house and center of the basement. How far away from the furnace can this stove be it didn't say anything in the manual. Any help would be great. Thanks

Maybe put the Advance in the basement... just a suggestion. I have an Advance in my basement and I am loving it.

I would think that you should be ok with the external horizontal as long as the horizontal run is 4 feet or less. If you need to run horizontal longer than 4 feet then depending on what you have to clear, you might be able to do a 45° elbow and go up and over at the same time, then continue up with another 45° elbow.

Using the external pipe might be cheaper and easier to clean then messing with your existing chimney setup. Also, if you decide run the external pipe, think about using a clean out 'T' in place of one of the elbows, so that you have easy access for cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.