Basement install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithm1979

Dec 22, 2012
WNY
So here's the deal. I got a used PE super 27 a couple months back and am now looking to install it. It's going in the basement (not my first choice but no good place to put it upstairs). It will be an exterior chimney (1 story). I'm just not sure how to get it outside. I do have a window available that I could frame in and then run a through the wall. My concern is can I connect black pipe directly to the stainless? My clearance to combustibles would be 6-8 inches from the pipe to the floor joists. My other option is to go through the concrete wall. My concern with that is we're probably not going to be in this house forever and I don't want a hole in the basement. Is it something that could be filled in easily with just regular concrete or would a pro have to do it.? Sorry for all the questions, hope it's not too confusing. And yes, this board has taught me, I already have my wood started. Got a moisture meter and a fiskars x25, I'm all set.

Well I am assuming you are panning on using a Class A Chimney. This can be installed with in your clearances you mentioned. Also, you can run it through the concrete wall. It can be just patched up with normal concrete. Connecting the black pipe to the Class a pipe, there is an adapter that goes from he double wall to the single wall. Every manufacturer has one.

Does thru the framed in window option imply some kind of thimble (exterior chimney)? If so, and there's 6-8" clearance to floor joists above that, would the short horizontal run of black pipe (connecting the black pipe to the thimble) be too close to the joists? Never done a basement install, so I'm just spit-balling, drawing the picture in my head.

Some pics would help. (window, joist clearance area especially)

Horizontal runs are not good. single wall exposed out side is going to be a creosote creating monster. If you are talking about a standard basement window I think you will be short on clearance.

Does thru the framed in window option imply some kind of thimble (exterior chimney)? If so, and there's 6-8" clearance to floor joists above that, would the short horizontal run of black pipe (connecting the black pipe to the thimble) be too close to the joists? Never done a basement install, so I'm just spit-balling, drawing the picture in my head.
Yes, I'd be using a through the wall thimble. Yeah if I go through the window, I'd have to start using double wall inside before the 90 to go outside. I'll get some pics and diagrams when I get a chance.

Pics are good (I should talk - a worst offender :( )

From where you transition (from the 90 to the thimble and any pipe in between), anywhere close to the floor / joists, is where my brain goes almost immediately.

I believe the PE Super gets a lot of good reviews here. Good luck with everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.