Basement Pellet stove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keep_warm

Oct 22, 2014
Mass
Folks,

This is my second year using a pellet stove in the basement, last year I did a temporary installation putting the exhaust pipe out one of the basement window to see how the pellet stove would handle heating up mainly the basement which I am in process of fixing up. I am now in the process of making a permanent installation and decided to put the 3" exhaust pipe through the foundation in order to avoid putting a 6" hole through the rafters to accommodate the thimble (Also this method I believe is safer). Drilled a 4" hole on the foundation and the exhaust will protrude straight out about a foot and a half away from the outside wall. The pipe will be a little over 2' from the outside ground which has 3/4 inch stone underneath
20151103_065827.jpg

I am enclosing a picture of the inside. The question I have is I need to seal the exhaust pipe going through the foundation, there is a gap of approximately 1/8 of an inch. What can I use to properly seal the gap?

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Folks,

This is my second year using a pellet stove in the basement, last year I did a temporary installation putting the exhaust pipe out one of the basement window to see how the pellet stove would handle heating up mainly the basement which I am in process of fixing up. I am now in the process of making a permanent installation and decided to put the 3" exhaust pipe through the foundation in order to avoid putting a 6" hole through the rafters to accommodate the thimble (Also this method I believe is safer). Drilled a 4" hole on the foundation and the exhaust will protrude straight out about a foot and a half away from the outside wall. The pipe will be a little over 2' from the outside ground which has 3/4 inch stone underneathView attachment 165925 .

I am enclosing a picture of the inside. The question I have is I need to seal the exhaust pipe going through the foundation, there is a gap of approximately 1/8 of an inch. What can I use to properly seal the gap?

Thanks in advance,

Tony
Hey Tony.
Folks,

This is my second year using a pellet stove in the basement, last year I did a temporary installation putting the exhaust pipe out one of the basement window to see how the pellet stove would handle heating up mainly the basement which I am in process of fixing up. I am now in the process of making a permanent installation and decided to put the 3" exhaust pipe through the foundation in order to avoid putting a 6" hole through the rafters to accommodate the thimble (Also this method I believe is safer). Drilled a 4" hole on the foundation and the exhaust will protrude straight out about a foot and a half away from the outside wall. The pipe will be a little over 2' from the outside ground which has 3/4 inch stone underneathView attachment 165925 .

Thanks in advance,

If you used double wall pipe going through the concrete that pipe will not get extremely hot. Home Depot sells a concrete sealant in a caulk tube made by Dap or Loctite. I have used both and I have not had any problems with either products. If you are concerned about heat around the pipe a local hearth or masonry store ( I am unsure if Home Depot Sell this ) should have tubs of ready mix chimney cement and it is usually rated for temps around 2,000 degrees. If you opt to use the chimney cement, make sure all the dust and dirt is washed from the area to get a good bond. I would gingerly wet the existing concrete wall around the pipe. This will ensure the chimney cement does not dry to rapidly. This will cause cracks in the new cement. Happy Heating

Folks,

Thanks in advance,

Tony

We always use Hydraulic Cement for this application. It will expand as it sets up & create an airtight & watertight seal.
You can get it in one gallon buckets at the local building supply centers. You need to mix it & you need to apply it fairly
quickly as it does dry in a short period of time.

Use an Hydraulic cement or hi temp silicone
Yes seal it you don't need moisture and a draft coming in

The only thing that concerns me is the proximity of your exhaust pipe to the wooden 2x4’s on top of the concrete. Looks awfully close from the picture you’ve taken.

The only thing that concerns me is the proximity of your exhaust pipe to the wooden 2x4’s on top of the concrete. Looks awfully close from the picture you’ve taken.

It's just short of 2", actually 2" if I put the pipe sitting on the bottom edge of the hole. I had to put it there in order to get the 2ft clearance on the outside.

Is that a big concern? I figured it would be ok since I believe a normal thimble has 2" of separation. Air vs. concrete of course.

I suppose air is a better insulator than concrete, but on the other side concrete will be cooler since it is exposed to the outside cold.

Any others have a thought on this?

Thanks,

Tony

i would think the clearance from wood is fine. our venting runs 3 or 4 inches from the interior wall all the way up and out.

don't let the snow pack in on and around your vent though.
though it will melt the snow, i still wouldn't want to let it get buried.
a modest vertical rise outside could be helpful. at least then you wouldn't have to always be thinking about whether it's clear or not at the termination.

Last edited:
I would add 18-24" of vertical rise outside, with a breathable cap on top.

Reactions: St_Earl
i would think the clearance from wood is fine. our venting runs 3 or 4 inches from the interior wall all the way up and out.

don't let the snow pack in on and around your vent though.
though it will melt the snow, i still wouldn't want to let it get buried.
a modest vertical rise outside could be helpful. at least then you wouldn't have to always be thinking about whether it's clear or not at the termination.

Yes I will keep an eye on the snow piling up, it usually does not pile in that area but it could happen if it is wind driven. Like you say it would also melt.

If it looks like it could be a problem going forward I do have the option of adding a few feet of rise in the outside since I don't have windows in that area that would violate clearances, however I would prefer to keep in simple.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tony

Reactions: St_Earl
It's just short of 2", actually 2" if I put the pipe sitting on the bottom edge of the hole. I had to put it there in order to get the 2ft clearance on the outside.

Is that a big concern? I figured it would be ok since I believe a normal thimble has 2" of separation. Air vs. concrete of course.

Tony

I would read up on what the pipe manufacturer says clearance is needed from combustibles. For some it is 1", for others 2".

How could that be a problem when the insulated pipes for pellet stoves go right through drywall with almost no gap?

Reactions: Cory S
Unless I am mistaken you can not use an elbow in that application, you need to use a Tee adapter with a clean out to catch the ash.
Can not, isn't exactly accurate. I believe it is suggested.
It just makes it easier to clean, but has no advantage over an elbow
as far as exhausting.

Dan

Reactions: Cory S
Can not, isn't exactly accurate. I believe it is suggested.
It just makes it easier to clean, but has no advantage over an elbow
as far as exhausting.

Dan
My understanding is that ash that does not make it up and out the vertical pipe will fall back down and collect at the bottom of the elbow causing a potential restriction with time. The Tee will prevent that.

LOL, ever see a Tee connection after a ton of crap pellets? A Tee will get you longer intervals between leaf blower cleanings when compared to an elbow for sure, but an elbow isn't a show stopper.

How could that be a problem when the insulated pipes for pellet stoves go right through drywall with almost no gap?
A thimble is required for that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.