Basement Stove Outdoor Flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Beccadelbeccio

Jan 20, 2020
Homer, Alaska
Hi,

I've read a bunch of posts here... So much good info!

I live in Homer, AK and just got a house that has a woodstove on the ground level... Not really a basement. It's insulated and heated. The flue runs outside, though. I cannot figure out how to not get smoke filling my house. It has been really cold, but is almost 25 degrees today and still drafting out.

Is there any solution to this? Will I be able to use the stove ever?

Thank you!
becca

Give us some photos of the stove and flue system, inside and out. We'll get you burning.

If you are getting smoke inside the house, do not use the stove until you figure out why. Carbon monoxide kills people.

More info is needed . . . or photos. Specifically showing the flue and chimney. A properly installed and drafting chimney should not result in smoke in the house.

You need to get a draft established before you light a wood fire. Does it just start smoking after it’s been drafting good? Or does it smoke when your are building a fire?

Hi,

It starts smoking at both times. When I am building and when it is going. I have successfully had two fires in it. I stopped after the drafting issues started. I checked, flue is clear and unblocked.

I will attach photos. Your help means a lot to me!

B.

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_162138.jpg
    IMG_20200120_162138.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20200120_162108.jpg
    IMG_20200120_162108.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20200120_161953.jpg
    IMG_20200120_161953.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 137
Sounds as if you’re suffering from an ice cold basement chimney. A lot of basement stoves really struggle to get a draft established, even more so with an exterior flue.
Once you got the draft going and a successful fire, did it start smoking midway through the fire or when you reloaded it?

Since the first time it smoked, I've not been able to start a fire. The "basement" is the first level in the picture and has baseboard heat and is approximately 63 degrees.

The stove was already there when you bought the house? The previous owners must have known about this and had a remedy.

SmartSelect_20200121-010528_Firefox.jpg

Is that flue passing through the exterior wall without a thimble? I think I see sheet metal with tin snip marks on it. Somewhat confusing because there does appear to be a thimble when you look at the photo of the stove inside?

That wouldn't cause the draft issue, but would be really unsafe if that was the case.

There also may be T1-11 almost touching the flue there.

At this point I'd advise you to get a qualified sweep out there to inspect the install and determine if it's safe to use at all.

There is stuff you can do to get the draft going, but the first job is to make sure it's safe to use.

That photo plus smoke in the house makes me want to put an inspection camera all the way through the system, and also inspect that wall penetration closely.

Could you post a close up of where the flue goes through the wall there? Webby is following this thread, so you can get an expert opinion on it tomorrow when he sees it.

Last edited:
If the entire system is clean, including the stovepipe, negative pressure in the home is causing it.
Your stove pipe is installed backward and should have 3 screws in every joint. I would look into replacing it with some quality pipe.

Reactions: jetsam
Hi,

I live in Homer, AK
becca
Hello to you. I don't have any specific answer to your issue but I spent a lot of my youth over in Peterson Bay. My Grandma and Grandpa lived there.

Aaron

There is a thimble there, and the tin snip marks in the blurry picture are peeling paint in the better picture.

I would do as webby said above and also put a brush and a camera all the way through the system to check for blockages and leaks. You can hire somebody or buy the tools. Wifi inspection cameras can be had for $30 and under on amazon if you have a smartphone.

Once the system is shown to be unpunctured and clean inside, and your stovepipe is installed in the right direction, open the nearest window to the stove an inch and try again. If the problem is gone, it was negative pressure.

It looks like you will be able to install an outside air duct right at the end of that baseboard heater, which should hide it behind the stove. Get a photo of the UL ID plate on the back of the stove. This will list the stove's manufacturer and model number. Grab the owner's manual from the manufacturer's website (or call the manufacturer) and find out if an outside air kit is available for that model. (But fix the stovepipe and inspect the flue first.)