Basement Stove w/Plenum in Code in NH?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibba

Oct 1, 2014
NH
Apologies if this isn't the right place to post this question, but I figured I'd start here....
I have an old steel Alpiner that I want to throw in my basement, add a plenum to it and toss some ducts on it that would lead to floor registers for the first floor, etc.

I was told somewhat recently by someone that this type of setup is no longer in code in NH due to it being an increased fire hazard. Was curious if anyone here had any information that would refute/deny this.

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with this stove. Is it a small furnace with heating takeoffs already built into the stove or will this be added on. If the latter, it is against code.

I'm not familiar with this stove. Is it a small furnace with heating takeoffs already built into the stove or will this be added on. If the latter, it is against code.

Sorry - no, it's just an old steel wood stove, similar to a Nashua or Fisher.

Sorry - no, it's just an old steel wood stove, similar to a Nashua or Fisher.
In that case no it does not meet current code. It is still done many times but it can be very unsafe and there for is no longer allowed by code

Status
Not open for further replies.