Basement wood heater pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FishHarder

Mar 1, 2015
PA
I have 3 walls of my basement under ground. A garage soon to be removed on the other side. I want to put a wood stove with blower by my boiler. I have cinder block wall. Would it be OK to bust out a block. Run the flue pipe through the wall up from the ground and anchor it off of my chimney. I was planing on making a metal blank plate around the wall penetration and filling the whole I dug for pipe with cement around the pipe. To help prevent water leakage.

What do you think? Is the cement gonna eat the pipe away ? I know steel grows. Will that be a problem ? What am I missing

Are you talking about running the pipe under the ground to get to ground level?

If you want to entertain such a task, you'll need an excavator to dig the surrounding area out from outside, then build a block chimney of sorts to allow for clearances to the pipe.

Knocking out one block of your foundation shouldn't be a structural issue, unless you've got stress cracking all over the place.

No stress cracks. Just gonna come out the wall about a foot under grade. So shovel is enough. Was gonna make it turn 90. Then double wall pipe out of ground 1st 8ft. Was thinking of mounting it off of my existing brick chimney with drop in anchors. Maybe weld up some brackets to mount on chimney to mount to stove pipe.

Also the 3ftx3ft box I was going to dig. I was gonna pour cement around it. To also help prevent ground water from entering my basement through the pent ration. The block I was going to knock out was gonna be half of a block. It will be second corse from the top. A foot below outside grade

Status
Not open for further replies.