Bats!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
We sealed up a house for bats today and came across this guy (gal?). He wasnt a mid day person and was very unhappy to be woken up and told to move along.

Attachments

• 18777.jpeg
    18777.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 183
I caught a bat in my basement earlier this summer--was actually thrilled that they are making a comeback. Since then, I've noticed up to 3 flying around my house. Building a bat box is on my short list. They are cute in an ugly sort of way!

Reactions: begreen and bholler
I'm not sure that the ones that winter in the caves are making a comeback. But the ones who live in little groups in attics don't seem to come in contact with white nose syndrome.

Paint the house a dark color so it absorbs the Sun's heat. Full sun is best!

Reactions: bholler
I caught a bat in my basement earlier this summer--was actually thrilled that they are making a comeback. Since then, I've noticed up to 3 flying around my house. Building a bat box is on my short list. They are cute in an ugly sort of way!
I get some bats under my soffits at the peaks and occasionally one will get into the attic. Must be squeezing in a super small crack. I'm planning on building a three or four chamber bat house nearby to give them a better place to hang.

Reactions: Prof
we have seen a few flying around our house lately. Bat box is on the list for sure!

Be careful with them. A 21 year old in British Columbia had an encounter with a bat and swatted it. He ended up dying shortly after as the bat had rabies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful with them. A 21 year old in British Columbia had an encounter with a bat and swatted it. He ended up dying shortly after as the bat had rabies.

Back when people used to leave doors and windows open more frequently, we or a neighbor used to get one in the house, maybe once every few years. It was standard recommendation to get tested if you found one had been in your house overnight, while the family was sleeping.

Back in CT as a lad I was caretaker for a community water system and slept in their clubhouse annex. The entire large complex was for summer use, made of uninsulated wood, rustic with no paneling, with high peaked ceilings and low eaves. I soon discovered in my annex room that a large group of bats nested at the peak. Every night they would exit, right past my head from a hole under the eave and come back early every morning. Naturally, I was pretty concerned at first but had no other place to stay. Eventually, I got used to them and we got along fine, except that they argue a lot amongst each other which I didn't appreciate hearing at 4am.