Battery Backup Dummy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the cable was outrageously overpriced, but I didn't have any idea what connector that was or the wiring. I suppose I could have figured it out, but I got lazy and paid for one ready made. I am actually glad I did. A wiring error there could have done some real damage. Understand that this is my field of expertise but when I weighed the convenience and the risk vs cost, convenience won.

That's my fear. Anyway they give you the molded plastic end that fits right into the stove and the clips that fit right on the battery since the cord is made for that stove and that purpose.

I believe the Harmon stove has a cable for it too.

Two marine deep cycle cells,.. connected to jumper cables going out to my truck,.. running a 700 watt inverter,... ran my Englander 25, my cell phone charger,.. and a low voltage light for 12 hrs, monitored with a dig meter. when the volts went down to 11.9 ,.. I simply walked out side and started my truck,... better than a generator blaring all night!

car/tractor batteries (stuff deisgned to START) things are not recommended to be used. They offer a lot of power for a short blast. marine are just the opposite. They provide a bit of power for a long time. they also have virtually no difference in cold cranking amps. they are not designed for it.

Question: I have a Tractor battery that Is 12 Volt and 230 cold crank Amps. How do I find out how many Amp Hours this has?

I think amp hours is just the meaure of how long it takes to drain the battery. For example, if it takes 10 hours to drain a battery by pulling 5 amps out o fit, 10* 5=50 amp hours. I don't think CCA is related to Ah so I don't think you can get one from the other.

I Think......

I pulled up a few on line, averaged 14ah

Manufacturer Universal Power Group
Model Adventure Power UTX15L-BS Battery (YTX15L-BS)
Weight 8.8
Volts 12
Amp-Hour 13
CCA 230
Length 6.87
Width 3.44
Height 5.13
Warranty 1 Year
Chemistry
DRY CHARGE AGM – ACID PACK INCLUDED

I pulled up a few on line, averaged 14ah

Manufacturer Universal Power Group
Model Adventure Power UTX15L-BS Battery (YTX15L-BS)
Weight 8.8
Volts 12
Amp-Hour 13
CCA 230
Length 6.87
Width 3.44
Height 5.13
Warranty 1 Year
Chemistry
DRY CHARGE AGM – ACID PACK INCLUDED

Everstart marine battery from walmart is roughly $100 or below, it has 125 A.H....seems like a good deal.

The reason I asked Is I have a Harman Advance hooked up to a Cyberpower 1500 UPS and wanted a little more time from when the power goes out to the time I go like a chipmunk with his butt on fire to my shed and drag the genny out, get It starter and run back to the house to flip the breakers on the gentran switch. Battery's in the UPS are 12v 8.5 Amp Hour X2 which will give me about 8 min. run time (I think) to the Harman at 200 watts running without the igniter. I am trying to figure how much longer I will have If I hook an extra battery to It. I have the extra Tractor battery hanging around as I bought It and found I don't need It. Is It doable I know I can always get a marine battery

The reason I asked Is I have a Harman Advance hooked up to a Cyberpower 1500 UPS and wanted a little more time from when the power goes out to the time I go like a chipmunk with his butt on fire to my shed and drag the genny out, get It starter and run back to the house to flip the breakers on the gentran switch. Battery's in the UPS are 12v 8.5 Amp Hour X2 which will give me about 8 min. run time (I think) to the Harman at 200 watts running without the igniter. I am trying to figure how much longer I will have If I hook an extra battery to It. I have the extra Tractor battery hanging around as I bought It and found I don't need It. Is It doable I know I can always get a marine battery

For the 80 - 100 bucks I'd get the Marine batt, what if genny doesn't start?

Walmart Everstart Deep Cell Marine Battery (109 AH) with 450 watt Stovesentry. I unplugged my ignitor for manual start. The ignitor was bad anyways, US Stove's are junk anyways, third one in less than two years.
$72 bucks for battery, roughly $25 in materials, and my friend was ever so kind to donate the Stovesentry to me for 3 dozen cookies :)

Attachments

• 121114_248.jpg
    121114_248.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 121114_247.jpg
    121114_247.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 200
Stovesentry=$489.00 Battery=$72.00 $25.00 Materials Grand total $586.00 WOW I could buy an extra genny for that price.
My original question was about hooking a extra battery that I have up to my UPS to get a little more run time. If I do buy the Marine battery with 109 AH roughly how much longer will the stove run? 200 Watts running without the igniter.

Stovesentry=$489.00 Battery=$72.00 $25.00 Materials Grand total $586.00 WOW I could buy an extra genny for that price.
My original question was about hooking a extra battery that I have up to my UPS to get a little more run time. If I do buy the Marine battery with 109 AH roughly how much longer will the stove run? 200 Watts running without the igniter.

5 hours?

Harvey on here gave a calculation of 12v x 109AH x .8? = 1046/200 watts = 5.232 hours. I got the stovesentry for a good deal obviously, I think you can get a used one cheaper. I just wanted to show my skills :) Im not very handy like that, not that it was difficult, but you understand. One thing to remember is the stovesentry keeps your battery charged when not in use. Thats another $20 atleast for a cheap trickle charger. I also didnt want to keep getting up every 4 hours to put gas in the generator. My calculations for my stove give me roughly 7+ hours.

Someone correct me on the calculation if im wrong.

5 hours sounds about right. I have 2 8ah (so 16) and i can get about 70 min out of mine on medium

remember is the stovesentry keeps your battery charged when not in use.
I bought a cheap battery tender from Harbor Freight for $6 to maintain the charge on the battery.
I also wanted to point out that a pure sine inverter can be had for about $100. You don't need a moose of an inverter, there are no pumps or compressors to start. A smaller inverter will be more efficient because it consumes less power for itself. I don't know where you guys are getting your batteries, I paid about $200 for a 100Ah, quality, AGM, sealed battery. Interconnecting hardware was under $100. So my cost including cables, connectors (Andersen), fuse (and ANL fuse holder) and wire (4 AWG) were about $400.
Don't skimp on this stuff. If not done right this can be dangerous.

Reactions: briansol
I bought a cheap battery tender from Harbor Freight for $6 to maintain the charge on the battery.
I also wanted to point out that a pure sine inverter can be had for about $100. You don't need a moose of an inverter, there are no pumps or compressors to start. A smaller inverter will be more efficient because it consumes less power for itself. I don't know where you guys are getting your batteries, I paid about $200 for a 100Ah, quality, AGM, sealed battery. Interconnecting hardware was under $100. So my cost including cables, connectors (Andersen), fuse (and ANL fuse holder) and wire (4 AWG) were about $400.
Don't skimp on this stuff. If not done right this can be dangerous.

Now That's what I'm looking for!! My two problems are:

- finding a battery (most auto stores in my area only sell automotive batteries, and places that sell marine or deep cycle are few and far between)

- Would like to charger that can do both fast and trickle charges so I don't ruin the battery (I also don't want to need a loan to buy it either!!)

rv shops should have batteries if you're no where near water.

rv shops should have batteries if you're no where near water.

I have to do some looking, I admit I have not looked really well but I've got a few days off around Thanksgiving that I will have a chance to find something. I like the Harbor Freight idea. I forgot about them.

If you are going to keep it indoors, get an AGM. the other types should NEVER be charged indoors as the emit hydrogen gases during charging.

The stovesentry comes with the cables to hook to the battery. All you do it plug into wall and stove to stovesentry. Am i missing something? I know virtually nothing about this stuff, so i want to make it right.

If you are going to keep it indoors, get an AGM. the other types should NEVER be charged indoors as the emit hydrogen gases during charging.

obviously i didnt get a AGM as the price is much much more for the AGM batteries with more A.H. I am not sure of the dangers of the gases that come off the battery. Thanks for the info.

I have to do some looking, I admit I have not looked really well but I've got a few days off around Thanksgiving that I will have a chance to find something. I like the Harbor Freight idea. I forgot about them.
Don't just buy a battery tender from HF, they are only intended to maintain a charge and will not actually recharge.

Walmart sells both Deep cycle batteries and higher end Schumacher dual rate chargers

Don't just buy a battery tender from HF, they are only intended to maintain a charge and will not actually recharge.
Well, they will recharge a battery, just very slowly. The battery tender has a charge capacity of 0.5A so to recover the 80Ah that can be depleted from a 100Ah battery will take about 160 to 200 hours. If you can wait eight days or so it will recover the charge. I have a 2/10A charger that I use to recharge the battery, then I unplug it and let the tender take over.
Unless you are going with a high end automatic battery charger that can switch into a charge maintenance mode, don't leave a charger connected to the battery all the time. A large battery, like a 100Ah can tolerate about 2A continuous charge. Smaller batteries may be damaged by that much continuous current.

Stove Sentry seems to be nothing more than a UPS sans battery!
Just buy a large UPS!

Bill

Reactions: briansol
Just buy a large UPS!
Or just a battery and medium size inverter. That's what an UPS is. I guess the UPS gives you the battery wiring built in. The trade off is that they typically have somewhat small batteries which gives you limited backup time.

Status
Not open for further replies.