Battery backup for Harmon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cristiansmom

Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
I have a Harmon p43 and my old battery backup does not work. And it's very old so I need a new one what would everyone recommend. I'm just looking for enough time to power it down if the power goes out.

I use an APC SmartUPS-750. What's wrong with your battery backup? It may just need new batteries which are user replaceable.

Well first of all it was for a different stove and it's not a 750 I think it's a 600 and second of all the power just went out and it didn't kick in it kept trying but it wouldn't. It's an old APC... I think I'm going to get APC 1500 .. Should work right?

Screenshot_20211116-105656.jpg

Should work right?
That will work. It's probably way bigger than you need. Depending on the year of your stove (rev E November 2010 or later) the UPS may be able to detect when it's on battery backup and then automatically shut down the stove.

If you buy a new UPS I'd still try replacing the batteries in your 600 model and use it elsewhere. The way you describe its behavior during an outage sure sounds like dead batteries.