be nice to have some kinda motion sensor on the 2 outdoor lights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
Purgatory house has two nice Brik walls with a nice " outdoor post lamps set in short column on each side. The original ones were cheap falling apart ones. I found for sale two really nice looking units for a good price. Hubby replace them sev yrs ago.
Now when we go there to mow grass etc its usually dark when leaving or will stop by etc. Turned off switch inside when locking up. the socket etc are. uprights
It would be so nice to have those nice lights turn on when we arrive or leave in dark plus a nice selling feature..
read reviews on First alert etc on Amazon. not so good reviews

you can buy add on photo cells or motion cells Or a programmable wall switch

if you buy a motion detector the brand to get is RAB. any that i put in over the last 25 years are still running. i put up cheap stuff the customer buys and make more money because i have to come back the following week to replace them

RAB lights . . . you may pay a little more for them, but they've been fantastic. Installed them two or three years ago and I have yet to do anything to them . . . including changing the lights . . . but they trip often with the critters that wander through our rural property. A benefit has been how they light up my woodshed so getting wood in the dark of winter evenings is made much easier.

RAB lights . . . you may pay a little more for them, but they've been fantastic. Installed them two or three years ago and I have yet to do anything to them . . . including changing the lights . . . but they trip often with the critters that wander through our rural property. A benefit has been how they light up my woodshed so getting wood in the dark of winter evenings is made much easier.
yeah thats what he bought to replace the Regent that would come on in the daytime (duh)... for to list up garage area...at THIS house...
My big idea was to buy a used awning(CL find) to go above the garage door. Nice but he moved the light to above the awning(black canvas). Now only half the area lights up....because of the awning...I threatened to cut out that section of the long awning and order clear nice hduty plexiglass.
( Be nice to use the clear safety glass big sheets (another CL find )but they would be too heavy and be hard to attach and lift up). Like you see on greenhouses.

No.. programmable switch can be set to any time u want. I use them on all my outdoor lights to keep them on for a few hours after dark. Even found one that mounts right over the switch no wiring involved. Photo cell or motion switch can easily be added to a post light. Lots of different styles out their.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

if you get a programmable switch get the brand name intermatic they are the best have some installed now for at customer house that are 10 years old and still working. the other cheap and no name one are no good. had a customer that wanted me to install 2 on his outside lights and call me back the following week to replace them because they both failed. 25 ea. is like throwing away 50 bucks. the intermatic programmable switches are very nice they also have a very small battery that holds the memory of your program and does the switching. battery lasts about 3 to 4 years and the program adjusts itself for the changing time of darkness and daylight saving time.

if you get a programmable switch get the brand name intermatic they are the best have some installed now for at customer house that are 10 years old and still working. the other cheap and no name one are no good. had a customer that wanted me to install 2 on his outside lights and call me back the following week to replace them because they both failed. 25 ea. is like throwing away 50 bucks. the intermatic programmable switches are very nice they also have a very small battery that holds the memory of your program and does the switching. battery lasts about 3 to 4 years and the program adjusts itself for the changing time of darkness and daylight saving time.
yeah we have several of the analog ones also Had them on former home too. Hubby installed the Intermatic ones the "analog ones. for porch lights and "fan"
Can you. add a motion detecter added to an existing light on post? nice POST lights wanna keep them they look good at Home we need to sell. Prv owners old ones were cheapos and rusting away like mostly everything else there.