Bearing on convection blower going? Video inside...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd677

Nov 29, 2013
CT
I believe that either one or both bearings are going dead on my convection blower. This is the Pleasant Hearth model ph50cabps and is only 3 months old. Does this sound like a bad bearing to everyone else?

Its very tinny like fan blade rub. Someone last week had a new fan that was bent and running poorly.

Are you able to vary the speed on your convection blower directly? Try changing the speed and listen if the sound changes.
Next, carefully reach inside and gently touch or press the housing of the convection blower while it's running. Does the sound change?

This just gets you zoned in on the part that's making the noise. I hate pulling a part out and finding out it was the one next to it.

Safety tip: Do not do this wearing a Pirate Shirt. !!!

I cannot vary the speed on my own but I was standing near it when it slowed down/sped up and it the pitch of the sound changed. I can also touch the side of it and the sound changes so I'm almost certain it's coming from this blower. I last cleaned it weeks ago with a small paint brush and it didn't start making noise until today. Could a blade have started rubbing something on its own?

Remember the stove has some extremes of temperatures and can lead to some distortions do to expansion.

Its very tinny like fan blade rub. Someone last week had a new fan that was bent and running poorly.
I agree it sounds like a tinny fan blade rub.

Take a long handle screw driver or a peice of dowel and put it next to the bearing. Then put your ear next to it. The sound will travel and you'll be able to pin point were the sound is coming from.

It is definitely a problem with the convection blower. Called the manufacturer and they're sending me a new one under warranty. Customer service was good but I'm surprised this blower died so fast. Hopefully the new one lasts longer.

I know Bixby had an issue with bearings in the fan motors because the warehouse got screaming hot and the grease ran out.

Status
Not open for further replies.