Bedding large slab of bluestone to concrete for woodstove platform

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
And many people including me in one of my garages decide the risk is worth the benifits. But if it is against code it doesn't matter if it passed inspection or not an insurance claim involving the stove will be denied.

If you are ok with that risk that is up to you.

You mean against code by being a certain height off the floor?
When I spoke to the inspector he was well aware that what I was talking about was a 'detached garage' so I doubt if it's written in the code books that it can't be done where I am. I've followed all the requirements for installation. I never saw anything about height off the floor.

You mean against code by being a certain height off the floor?
When I spoke to the inspector he was well aware that what I was talking about was a 'detached garage' so I doubt if it's written in the code books that it can't be done where I am. I've followed all the requirements for installation. I never saw anything about height off the floor.
There is no requirement for height off the floor in the US. Simply that a solid fuel burner cannot be installed in a garage or any space where gasoline or other flammable vapors are present. Woodshops are not in the national code. But they are in some local and state codes.

I appreciate the information. There are laws against pretty much everything. I know people with woodshops that run propane for heat. I've had my heart set on this from the start and I'm too old to care what their rules are.
One thing in my favor, the mason screwed up and didn't grade the front correctly, it's level so there's no chance a car could bump into anything, it's like a curb.

I appreciate the information. There are laws against pretty much everything. I know people with woodshops that run propane for heat. I've had my heart set on this from the start and I'm too old to care what their rules are.
One thing in my favor, the mason screwed up and didn't grade the front correctly, it's level so there's no chance a car could bump into anything, it's like a curb.
Like I said that is up to you. I am just providing you the information so you can make an informed decision.

My woodshop is heated with gas as is my business shop and garage. But my automotive shop has a wood stove. I know it is a code violation but it is out in the open and the building tools and one vehicle at a time in there doesn't have enough value for me to worry about the risk of it not being covered. When I rebuild it next to the business shop it will not have a wood stove.

Like I said that is up to you. I am just providing you the information so you can make an informed decision.

My woodshop is heated with gas as is my business shop and garage. But my automotive shop has a wood stove. I know it is a code violation but it is out in the open and the building tools and one vehicle at a time in there doesn't have enough value for me to worry about the risk of it not being covered. When I rebuild it next to the business shop it will not have a wood stove.
I appreciate the information, thanks.