Been cuttin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
It's been hard to get out with all the rain we've been getting, but today and last Monday were nice enough to cut some wood.
I didn't take many pics last week. This load was probably 60/40 alder and hemlock. There wasn t a whole lot of wood available where I was.
20170320_115109.jpg

I hit a different spot today and it had more wood available, all alder and hemlock. Today's load was more like 75% alder.
20170327_123854.jpg

20170327_144827.jpg

All split and put away 2 rows deep.
20170327_163310.jpg

Nice haul and beautiful country you got there! Been raining here as well and has slowed me way down...think i am going to to take the ATV and cut a bunch and as soon as it dries out go to hauling it out...

Last edited:
[QUOTE="blacktail, post: [/QUOTE]

I see that your stacks are covered. For curiosity, how long on average after a split will your wood be ready to burn? Thanks

OP, where abouts do you cut? I have a few good spots out by Skykomish that have Doug fir

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="blacktail, post:

I see that your stacks are covered. For curiosity, how long on average after a split will your wood be ready to burn? Thanks[/QUOTE]
If my wood is split in the spring, most of it will be ready for the following burn season. I have access to a lot of birch on a family member's property. It seems to need more drying time. Birch trees cut in spring pee water out as soon as I touch a saw to them.
It probably helps that I cut my wood 12-13" long for NS loading in my insert.

Last edited:
Back at it today. Mostly fir and hemlock topped off with a little alder.
20170403_163428.jpg
20170403_151930.jpg